2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 6:30 AM by Al Baker

Where is the mysterious hiding client variable?

Al Baker

Periodically we are getting this crash with one of our domains:

Element CHOOSEEVENT is undefined in CLIENT.

Here is the code snippet where the error is generated.  The last line gives the error.

Note that the code is buried in a cfif testing for the existence of client.chooseevent and that the immediate preceding SQL statement references the variable successfully!

<cfif isdefined("client.chooseevent") and not request.listevent>

<cfif IsDefined("Client.CustomerID")

AND (Client.CustomerID is not 0)

AND len(Client.CustomerID)>

<cfset str1 = client.customerid>

<cfset str1=replace(str1,"-","_","all")>

<cfif not isdefined("request.qrySeletedEvent_#client.chooseevent#_#str1#")>

<cfquery timeout="#application.querytimeout#"

name="qrySeletedEvent" datasource="#request.dsn#"

username="#request.dsnUsername#"

password="#request.dsnPassword#">

SELECT * FROM evdata

WHERE evID=#client.chooseevent#

AND evdel = 0

AND evCST ='#client.customerid#'

</cfquery>

<cfset request["qrySeletedEvent_#client.chooseevent#_#str1#"] = qrySeletedEvent>

We are using the original release of ColdFusion 8 Enterprise.  Client variables are stored in a database and the domain is NOT being load-balanced between two CF instances.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Where is the mysterious hiding client variable?
          BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Place <cfparam name="client.chooseevent" default="test_value"> at the top. Then place <cfdump var="#client#"> at two appropriate places, to find out where and how the variable disappeared.

P.S.: for the test server, not on the production server!

• 2. Re: Where is the mysterious hiding client variable?
            Al Baker Level 1

Since the failure is a rare event, what I did instead was do a <cfsavecontent> of a <cfdump var="#client#"> after the initial <cfif> and after every statement between it and the last statement where the variable shows up missing.

Around that last two statements I placed a <cftry> with the <cfcatch> sending me an email of all the dumps.

After a couple of days it happened and, sure enough, variable "chooseevent" was in "client" after every statement except the <cfquery>.  After it, the variable no longer existed in "client".

Which, of course, makes no sense.

So, after the initial <cfif> I decided to do a <cfset holdchooseevent=client.chooseevent> and use "holdchooseevent" throughout the remainder of the body of the <cfif>.  After several more days, there have been no apparent problems.