4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2009 6:13 PM by Greg Dove

Need Recommendation for Faster PC for Rendering Flash Videos?

speakoutp

I am currently using a six-year old Dell laptop PC based on a Pentium 4 running at 2.4 GHz with 1 GByte of RAM and using XP Pro as the operating system.  I create training programs using Flash CS3.  These programs are 10-13 minutes in length.  These programs include audio (narration) and also animations (mainly tweens of graphics fading in and out).  I do not embed any videos.  My .fla files are approximately 25 MBytes or so.

When I export these files to Quicktime .mov files, it takes 45 to 60 minutes.  GAG!!  Likewise, when I import these .mov files back into Flash to create a .flv file, it can take another hour.

I need to reduce this time to 15 minutes or so if possible.  While it may seem a no-brainer to buy a NEW PC and see immediate -- and significant speed improvements, after looking into this I am not convinced it will be money well spent.

1) Most new PCs feature dual-core or quad-cores.  However, Flash CD3 and CS4 do not seem to support multithreading, so I can't see any speed up of the rendering there.

2) Clock speeds of the new CPUs are still in the 2-3 GHz range, which is where my P4 currently is.  Again, I don't see how I will get a significant speed up of the export rendering.

Am I missing something here?  Part of me says that a six-year old computer will be very slow compared to a NEW computer -- but then my logic detailed above says a NEW PC will not be a night-and-day difference.

Any recommendations of a PC that will give me a HUGE reduction in render time would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks.

• 1. Re: Need Recommendation for Faster PC for Rendering Flash Videos?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you should see a substantial boost by getting more ram.  if you can fit 4gb, get it.

even if you only re-install your os you'll probably see a speed boost.

• 2. Re: Need Recommendation for Faster PC for Rendering Flash Videos?
            speakoutp Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion about increasing RAM. Unfortulately, my laptop only supports 1 GByte max, which is what I have.

Why does an OS re-install help?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Need Recommendation for Faster PC for Rendering Flash Videos?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

isn't everything you do on your computer (including just starting it), at least, somewhat slower than when your computer was new?

• 4. Re: Need Recommendation for Faster PC for Rendering Flash Videos?
                Greg Dove Level 4

One thing is that you could avoid the conversion to flv step if you are targeting flash player 9 and later.

If you export to h264/aac format quicktime files you should be able to load and play them directly rather than having to take the next step and convert to flv. EDIT: You may need to move the moov atom/metadata to the start of the video file instead of the end (google it if this is new)

There are some encoders/converters that use multithreading. I think even virtualdub on windows does.... although I don't use quicktime, I guess I would be surprised if it didn't support it.

In terms of hardware....I have a Qosmio G50 laptop (desktop replacement) which in theory should get closer to the 15 minute mark you target. This is because, in addition to being dual core CPU, it has a separate quad core HD processor which is dedicated to fast and intensive video processing, completely aside from the CPU or GPU. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be publically available software that leverages the specific chip yet (although some of the pre-installed toshiba apps use it for things like gesture control, indexing video by face and logon face recognition etc). Some of the marketing speak says it should be 5x faster for HD/H.264 encoding than using the CPU alone though....(I'm waiting for the software!)