• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't link to projects in merge projects - RH8

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generated my merged file in RH8. However, I can't link between the merged projects.

I accesss the parent project and then click the link and successfully access the child1 project. Then I click the link in child 1 to go back to the parent and it doesn't work. I get the message that Explorer cannot display the web page.

All my files are on my C drive and I checked the links and they look ok.

Also, when I allow blocked content, I get two bars at the top of the window with the Contents, Index and Search instead of the usual one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Before doing anything else I think you should read and inwardly digest this article.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp or Microsoft HTML Help (CHMs)?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Webhelp.

Also, my links point to files in certain places on my c drive. When I generate I generate to a different folder. Could that be the problem? How do I fix it?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I use relative links in my merge project?

my project is on my C drive now but will eventually be on our network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying some things --

RH puts in relative links for me (very good of them).

I tried linking to the GENERATED files instead of the saved files and that seemed to work.

Im still wondering what will happen when I move it to another drive. Will the relative links work? I haven't tried that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the links are relative to your project they will work no matter where they are put. If they are absolute they won't.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never link to the generated files. If your project content changes you potentially have a broken link. Always link to the file INSIDE your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am linking to the .htm file. What do you mean INSIDE my project??

Do the files have to be in a certain folder?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say you have a project that is located in the directory c:\Source\Project directory. Inside the project you have two folders called (FolderA and FolderB) with topic1 and topic2 in folder A and topic3 and topic4 in folder B. If you link from topic1 to topic 3, the link path added by RH is "foldera/topic3.htm". This is a relative path to a topic inside the project. If the project folder is moved, the link will still work provided none of the overall project folder/file structure is changed.

The generated output - although it is by default output to the !SSL!\Webhelp folder - is not inside the project. You can link to it but if it or the project source files are moved, it run the risk of broken links. If all you are doing is trying to link to another topic in the same help project, use the approcah I have outlined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the fact that it's a merged project have anything to do with it?

What about file structure? Does that have anything to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before doing anything else I think you should read and inwardly digest this article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp