4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 12:13 AM by elaine montoya

CS-4 Parenting

HarryPutnam Level 1

Using CS-4 Trial download, If I make a layer into a parent and assign a child using the whip, If I then move the parent by hand with mouse, should the child follow that movement?

Is this disabled in trial version?

• 1. Re: CS-4 Parenting
          TimeRemapper Level 4
          If I make a layer into a parent...

Hey Harry.

There is no "making a layer into a parent" function. The parenting in AE is pretty much driven by telling the children whom to obey.

Select your child layer, and either assign it a parent via the pulldown menu in the parent column, or pick whip the child to the parent.

The pulldown menu on the child layer should reflect the layer name of the assigned parent.

Then, when you transform the parent, the child should follow.

The assigned parent should show "None" in the parent assignment column, unless, of course, you want the parent to be assigned a parent of it's own.

• 2. Re: CS-4 Parenting
            HarryPutnam Level 1

TimeRemapper wrote:

If I make a layer into a parent...

Hey Harry.

There is no "making a layer into a parent" function. The parenting in AE is pretty much driven by telling the children whom to obey.

Select your child layer, and either assign it a parent via the pulldown menu in the parent column, or pick whip the child to the parent.

The pulldown menu on the child layer should reflect the layer name of the assigned parent.

Then, when you transform the parent, the child should follow.

The assigned parent should show "None" in the parent assignment column, unless, of course, you want the parent to be assigned a parent of it's own.

OK, my terminology didn't come up to snuff.

Thanks, I had it backwards.

But I thought I tried it both ways.. that is, whipping from parent to child and whipping from child to parent.

But apparently had not done so, because just now following your directions the child follows parent when parent is moved.

Actually though that does seem kind of backwards doesn't it?  I mean wouldn't you first think, if you wanted to create a parent/child combination, that  you 'd naturally start by selecting the parent and whipping to or dropping down to the desired child?

Oh well maybe its just me.... in fact I now remember stumbling over this very same thing some time ago... and I don't use parenting or even AE very often.

• 3. Re: CS-4 Parenting
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

HarryPutnam wrote:

Actually though that does seem kind of backwards doesn't it?  I mean wouldn't you first think, if you wanted to create a parent/child combination, that  you 'd naturally start by selecting the parent and whipping to or dropping down to the desired child?

No. Your logic is flawed. You want the childs follow the parent while retaining their own independent movement, not the parent taking the children onto a leash. Inheritance always goes downstream - you inherited your parents genes, physiognomic features and habitual character traits, but they did not inherit anything from you. It's no different in math and programming. Think of it: For instance children of children, whose intermediate parents move differently, would not be possible with your proposed rigid constraining. The sole failure here is, that AE does not have a visual presentation for top-level hierarchies as is common e.g. in 3D programs or even Photoshop's folder grouping...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS-4 Parenting
                elaine montoya Level 3

The tip that After Effects expert Trish Meyer uses: "Children First!"

If you follow that advice, your parenting should work.

good luck!

elaine