7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 1:59 PM by the_wine_snob

Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..

phabeon

I have a video in .avi format.. I am trying to import it into Adobe Premiere, but I cannot, and nor can I open it with Adobe Premiere...

when I play it with Windows Media Player, I get the sound, but no video...

I can however play it normal with VLC player, its an open source video player that plays almost all video formats.., so with VLC i get both the sound and video...

What can I do or should I do to get this video into Adobe Premiere?

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!!

running Adobe Premiere CS3..

oNe

• 1. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Based on your description, chances are excellent that the video clip in question is one that was simply not designed for editing.  Premiere Pro is a professional level editor that has a tendency to work best with standard camera formats.

My recommendation here is to stick with media from a pro level camera if you want to edit with Premiere Pro.  If you want to edit consumer video that isn't really supposed to be edited, try a consumer program.  Windows Movie Maker, Premiere Elements and Movie Edit Pro all come to mind.

• 2. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Welcome to the forums.

See the following links for solutions:

FAQ: How do I import xyz format files?

FAQ:How do I convert my files?

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JSS1138 wrote:

Windows Movie Maker, Premiere Elements and Movie Edit Pro all come to mind.

Actually, from reading in that forum, P-Elements doesn't do all that well with editing other formats besides DV AVI type 2

• 4. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Good to know, John.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
                  phabeon Level 1

Thanks for your replies gentlemen..

Yeah about this problem I have.. I am a student at a 2 year tech school and am doing this for a project.

Basically what I'm doing is this..

downloaded a copy of Tools Prison Sex Video, and what we have to do is basically put our own sounds to the video instead of the ones already on there. i.e. its a music video, but we have to create/produce our own soundtrack and sound effects for this video..

The professor isn't too great with help and simply said to open the video in Adobe Premiere and then add our own sounds to it... well the project is due tomorrow and I have spent more then 2 weeks trying to even locate another copy of this video..

I have failed, not only myself but my team, NOT sure what I'm going to tell them tomorrow..

but I'm going to try this one more time...

The video is in .avi format, is there ANYTHING I can do to get it to open up in Adobe Premiere CS3?

I am willing to stay up all night if I have to, to get this to work....already tired since I have been up since 6am and trying to resolve this.. but if I have to I have to..

the link: FAQ:How do I convert my files? simply takes me to a blank page, BOTH in Safari and FIREFOX, latest browser versions..

so there is nothing there on how to convert?

AGAIN we are simply college students, we aren't trying to make a profit on this and its actually just a school project, actually our end of semester project..

CAN anyone help?

what I got from the FAQ links is that Adobe Premiere works best with AVI format, specifically uncompressed? is that correct?

Unless someone know's where I can get a copy of the video, Tool "Prison Sex" so that it works in Adobe Premiere CS3?

here's hoping somebody can help..

thanks again you guys have been wonderful!

oNe

• 6. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AVI is just a name... what is the CODEC used for that file?

Since you say it was downloaded, I doubt it is the DV AVI Type 2 file best used in Premiere

I will GUESS it is really a highly compressed DIVX file... but you need to tell us

First, work through the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link... For question #1 see the note about the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 7. Re: Quick Question About Adobe Premiere..
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It John is correct, and would believe that he is, then Eddie's link on file conversion is the one to follow. Been a while since I read that one, but I'd *guess* that he lists some freeware in there for file conversion.

If the video is DivX, you will first need the DivX COCEC (use John's link to G-Spot to find out). Then you will need a conversion program. Unfortunately, the one that I use 99% of the time, is not freeware. I'd hate to suggest a US$50 program for just this one Project. I do know that there many freeware programs available, and hear that most work wonderfully. I just have no direct knowledge of any, and really do not even know all of their names. There used to be a trial, that was only time-limited (no watermarks), but not sure if that is still available. Anyway, my converter is DigitalMedia Converter, and you WILL need the DivX CODEC installed to convert, plus the MS DV CODEC, but you should already have that. If you can use the trial, and it works for you, you should consider purchasing it, if you plan on doing much work from material that is not generated from a miniDV (tape) camera. You will use it a lot.

Once you done the conversion to DV-AVI Type II (very important) w/ PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio, you will be good to go. As has been pointed out, .AVI is but a wrapper and can contain all sorts of different CODEC's. You want DV-AVI Type II.

Good luck, and maybe others can give you pointers as to good freeware conversion programs.

Hunt