9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 4:28 PM by Steve Grisetti

Sill images will not render

stonehurst

I have an old version (1.0) of Premiere Elements. Quite often it will not render or even see random still images (jpeg, bmp, tiff, psd, etc.). I have tried re-saving these images in different formats with on luck. All I get is a green screen or no image at all; except in the timeline.

These images are from multiple digital cameras; so I can't identify if the issue is source related. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this problem?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Sill images will not render
          J McWilliams Level 4

Are you able to update Premiere Elements? OS and version?

• 2. Re: Sill images will not render
            stonehurst Level 1

I couldn't find any updates for the 1.0 version. I intend on purchasing the latest version of elements; but I've got about 75% of my project completed on the 1.0 version.

• 3. Re: Sill images will not render
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The version of software will not make any difference, so it's unlikely an upgrade will. Assuming you're using version 1 on XP, of course. It's not compatible with Vista.

I'm not sure why you're not seeing these images, assuming that they're just RGB/8 and not CMYK or some other non-compatible color format. And, if they're all from digital cameras, that's unlikely.

Are any of them from sources other than digital cameras?

Also, have you tried optimizing them to no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size? If you're using an older version of the software, it's possible you're also using an older computer that may be struggling to display larger images.

• 4. Re: Sill images will not render
                stonehurst Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the response.

I'm currently running XP/SP2 off my 2 year old laptop with 2G of RAM and a 2gig processor. Everything runs smooth and fast enough, except for random stills (from assorted digital cameras).

Jack,

• 5. Re: Sill images will not render

If you're saying you have a 2 ghz Pentium, that's a relatively slow computer for video editing, and it could well be that the photo file size is too much for it handle, as I sad in my last post.

So I'm assuming, with a recent computer, you have at least 30 gigs of free, defragmented space on your hard drive.

Okay. Once you tell us more about these images, we'll have a better idea what's going on.

• 6. Re: Sill images will not render
                    stonehurst Level 1

I have over 40 gig free hard drive space. Additionally; all my media is on a 1Terabyte firewire drive.

I can see the images on the timeline; but the problem ones will not show up in the monitor window, or appear as a green box only. Sometimes; they look fine, but abort when rendering.

• 7. Re: Sill images will not render

Again, once we know more about these images -- if they are RGB and not CMYK images, how large the files measure (in pixels), where they originated -- we'll be better able to give you advice.

• 8. Re: Sill images will not render
                        stonehurst Level 1

Thanks; I'll try to get that information by tomorrow.

Also; how do I tell if they are RGB or CMYK, as I received these as jpegs from a digital camera?

• 9. Re: Sill images will not render

If they came from a digital camera, they're likely RGB (although they may also be RAW, depending on the camera).

If you open them in Photoshop Elements and look under Image/Mode, it will show you.

And you can see the dimensions of the pictures under Image/Resize/Picture Size. Look at the measurements in pixels. These are what count.

But I thought you said you had several formats -- PSDs, BMPs and TIFs?

And do they still show up as green if you move the files temporarily to the C drive?