• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a direct link to the help topics?

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have been building my first RoboHelp project with the help of some good tutorials online.

I have a number of different help topics and they have sub topics.

How do I direct a user when they click on a direct link to a subtopic.  What is the HTML code to use to get to a subtopic?

If I use the HTML file name of the topic, the help TOC on the left doesn't show up.

Does this make sense?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "help topics" and "sub topics" are you meaning that you have a help topic that has bookmarks inside it. There are a number of ways to link to these. I find the easiest is to highlight the text you want the link applied to, display the list of topics in the topics pod and click and drag the topic (or bookmark) over the selected text and release.

Note: If you have added a bookmark inside a topic, it does not appear in the list of topics until the topic is saved.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I guess that is correct.

Basically I have five areas in my application and a help icon in each area.  For Example, when the user clicks on the help icon in a certain area, I'd like the Help to open up and display the help info pertaining to that subject.

In the screen capture image I have attached:  I'd like an HTML link to direct the user to "Report Toolbar" under "Report Navigation" under "Reports".

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Now I understand. What you want is called "Context Sensitive Help". This requires you to produce a map file in RH which basically adds a unique identifier to the help topic that is called by the application. One of my blog posts covers the basics from the RH side. Click here to read it. as far as the application call is concerned, this depends on a number of factors. For example the:

• Output type (CHM, WebHelp, etc).
  • The application language

If you can let us know the answers to the above, we can point you further in the right direction.

Read the RoboColum(n) for mutterings on RoboHelp, Technical Communication Suite and technical communication.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This look like I'm on the right track.  Thanks.  We are building an application in Silverlight (think Flash) and clicking on a help icon in the app will launch the Help area.

I'll explore what you have given me and see what I can do but this look right.  Thanks a bunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add.  We already have it working in silverlight and it calls the Robo Help files up perfectly but it alwasy starts from the beginning and we want to be able to direct users to particular help topics.  So I think your blog post will work for that info.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have opened the BSSCDefault.h file and now have the "Edit Map IDs" dialog open.  You will see with the new screenshot that I have assigned the number 3 to "Reports Introduction" page.

What is the HTML URL that I give to my developer to link his application help link to it in the Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp