5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 1:08 PM by Barna Biro

Flex app as MovieClip?

vtatai

I have a somewhat odd requirement for my application in that it should be an Adobe Flash movie extending the class flash.display.MovieClip class. I know it is possible to do this using CS4 Flash, but is it possible to do it using Flex?

I am a beginner in Flex, so bear with me...

Thanks a lot,

Victor

• 1. Re: Flex app as MovieClip?
          Barna Biro Level 3

Hi Victor,

When you say "Flex" do you mean an actual Flex project or you're referring to an ActionScript project created in Flex Builder? In case you are talking about an actual Flex project then I'm affraid that the answer is no. The main file for a Flex project should always extend the class Application.

With best regards,

Barna Biro

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flex app as MovieClip?
            vtatai Level 1

Thanks for the quick answer Barna, yes I guess it could be an ActionScript project using Flex Builder, but then would I be able to use Flex Builder to edit the GUI part of my app? Or, is there a way to "call" a Flex application from ActionScript?

Thanks again,

Victor

• 3. Re: Flex app as MovieClip?
              Barna Biro Level 3

Hi again,

To be honest, I never even thought of trying to call a Flex GUI from a ActionScript project but I'm quite sure that it's not really possible. Althought Flex is based on ActionScript 3.0, Flex projects behave and work quite differently from ActionScript projects ( just think of components: you can't use a Flex specific component in a Flash CS4 file athought it's still ActionScript 3.0 we are talking about ).

Why would you need to have this kind of a mix? Why can't you simply create the whole project in Flex or as an ActionScript project? Why should the main class extend MovieClip ( what's the purpose ) ? If you could shed more light on this then I might be able to point you in a direction but at the moment, there are too many questions that need to be answered before I can say anything for sure.

With best regards,

Barna Biro

• 4. Re: Flex app as MovieClip?
                vtatai Level 1

So to be more specific, the application I want to build is called by another flash app (which runs on a proprietary embedded device), and the spec for the device clearly states that third-party apps should extend the MovieClip class. Go figure . So I am trying to decide if I can use Flex Builder (preferable), or must use Adobe CS4 Flash. GUI editing is a must as there are reasonably complex screens with many components. Now, based on my very limited Flex/AS experience and from what I've been able to gather around the web it seems like (correct me if I am wrong!) the only way to go is using CS4 .

Thanks a lot,

V.

• 5. Re: Flex app as MovieClip?
                  Barna Biro Level 3

To avoid some possible and serious headaches I'd go for Flash CS4 if I were you. Noneteless, Flash to Flex communication is quite possible ( but as I said, you might end up facing some issues if things get really complex ):

You can find quite a few examples on google, it's up to you if you'll go with Flash CS4 or Flex ( I for one, would go with Flash CS4 just so I can avoid some serious headaches if things "get ugly" ).

Kind regards,

Barna Biro