9 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2009 7:52 AM by kglad

Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar

mlrenko Level 1

I am somewhat of a beginner and have been attempting to create an entire website using Flash CS4.  Everything is going quite well and the body of all of the pages are built.  The navigation buttons to each page are working perfectly.  Now I am simply filling in the content for each individual page.  Most of the pages were large enough to contain the content without requiring more room.  One of my pages will have a large area of text and several pictures.  I became aware of the Components menu last evening and the selection of the scrollbar.  I added the component to my page and sized it accordingly.  It allows me to add text but not JPEG images.  I was wanting to know how to utilize the scroll feature and still have text and images on the page?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

use the scrollpane.  create a movieclip to which you add textfields and images or other movieclips and then assign the scrollpane's source (as3) or content (as2) to be that movieclip that parents everything you want displayed.

• 2. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar
            mlrenko Level 1

I appreciate your answer to my question. I have purchsed several books on Flash CS4, including Adobes own Classroom in a Book for Flash CS4.  The problem is that none of them show a tutorial on how to do this. I am hoping that you can give a more lengthy description of how to accomplish this task. I'm having a problem invisioning how the movieclip is created with my page. For instance, imagine that my primary page size is 1000 X 750. I want to create a scrollable page that includes text and photos. That page might be 800 X 2000. Therefore it would have a verticle scroll. How do I begin to arrange the text and pictures on such a long page? Do I create a completely different Flash CS4 page that is sized to 800 X 2000? Then insert all of my text and pictures. Do a "select all" and save a s a movieclip? Then this becomes the source for the scrollpane? I've searched all day yesterday on the net and cannot find a tutorial on this subject. It is a staic page by the way. Nothing will ever change or get loaded. Thanks for the help!

• 3. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar

just assemble the movieclip (that's 800x2000 or whatever you want to display within the much smaller scrollpane that) you want to scroll and assign it to be the source or content of your scrollpane.  the scrollpane will take care of the scrollbar.

• 4. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar
                mlrenko Level 1

Update!  I came home this evening and opened my document.  I added a new layer.  In the layer I selected the rectangle tool and drew a verticle box that was approximately 600 X 1500.  It extended well off of the layout page.  Next I selected the text tool and typed a paragraph.  Then I inserted various pictures.  Basically I filled the entire rectangle with text and images.  I did a "select all" and then Modify > Covert To Symbol > Movieclip.  Next I deleted the residual rectangle and the text and photos from the screen (basically the movieclip)!  Then I selected Windows > Components and dragged a Scrollpane onto the new layer.  At that point I selected Windows > Component Inspector to open that dialog box.  At this point I have the movieclip saved to the Library but I have no idea how I attach that clip to the SOURCE of the Component Inspector?  Have I followed the correct procedure so far?  Thanks for your kindness!

• 5. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar

right click on your library movieclip, tick export for actionscript and type a class (as3) name (say ScrollClass).  then in your actions panel use:

sp.source=new ScrollClass();

where sp is the instance name of your scrollpane.

• 6. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar
                    mlrenko Level 1

kglad - I followed your instructions to the letter but I was halted when I was to right-click on the movieclip.  I did click on the movieclip that was located in the library.  I did not see the "export for actionscript"?  Does it matter that I am using Flash CS4?  Furthermore, does it matter that in Flash CS4 I opened and created an Actionscript 3.0 document?  Where am I going astray?  Thanks!

• 7. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar

i skipped a step in those instructions:

right click on the library movieclip, click linkage, tick export for actionscript and in the Class box enter the class name.

• 8. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar
                        mlrenko Level 1

When I right-click on the library movieclip, there is no option to select "linkage".  The options are"  Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, Delete, Duplicate, Move To..., Edit, Properties..., Component Definition..., Convert To Compiled Clip, Export SWF, Export SWC File...  This is really getting hard to track down!  Thanks for the assistance.  I'm wondering if we are using two different versions of Flash and the menu's are different?

• 9. Re: Inserting Pictures and Text in Conjunction with a Scrollbar

you can use properties instead of linkage.  (and you must be using cs4 which doesn't have a linkage option.  that's not a problem.)