7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 11:23 PM by kglad

How to show all items from library in Flash CS4

CXXXV

New guy trying to use CS4. Inherited FLA files. How do I show all library items at once. So far all I can do is click on individual items andthen select Edit.

This is very cumbersome.

• 1. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

show them where?

• 2. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4
            CXXXV Level 1

On the design page. How can you tell where anything is. All I get is a page and a long list of library items on the right side. I want to see how all the items relate on the page that I am designing.

• 3. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4

click on any object on the stage and in the properties panel will be its instance name and its library name.  if you want to directly go to the object's timeline (if it's a movieclip or a button), double click the object.

• 4. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4
                CXXXV Level 1

If by stage you mean the main screen then I see nothing on there. There are many items listed in the library list. These library items appear not to be specific to an FLA but to a larger group.

I somehow need to be able to see the items on the "Stage", as of yet I have not figured out how to do that.

• 5. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4

as someone that often has to clean-up fla files created by idiots, i can sympathize.  there's almost no end to the way flash files can be constructed and it takes some experience to find items that need editing.  and even then it can be a time-consuming endeavor.

but to get your started there must be either

1.  at least one movieclip in one frame of the main timeline

or

2.  some code in at least one layer of the main timeline

or

3.  if you're editing an as3 file, there may be neither of the above and then there will be a document class listed in the properties panel.

from there things can take any number of twists and turns.

• 6. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4
                    CXXXV Level 1

I don't get it. How can you edit something that you can't see where it is. How can I even tell what items are on a given FLA?

This is absurd. I thought that Flash was suppposed to be easy to use. I've been writing apps for nearly 30 years and haven't been this frustrated.

It seems everything is very obfuscated.

• 7. Re: How to show all items from library in Flash CS4

hey, if you want to compare for-^#%@#$@ fla fiiles made by idiots, i have a beauty that i'm about to trash and redo from scratch.

the bottomline is flash is a tool.  there's no requirement that people that use it have to pass a competency test.  consequently you can inherit projects that are a mess.

that said, if you can't find any place to start, you're missing something.  the few places i gave in the above message must have content (though that may be code only) or nothing would display on-stage when the app starts.