6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2009 6:51 PM by Sean_Wilson

Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?

yankeeschick

Sorry for the un-descriptive title --- wasn't sure quite how to describe what I'm trying to do.

I want to create an interactive Director presentation that will guide a user in selecting a product from a set list. The user will answer a short series of questions and then be presented with a list of recommendations based on their answers.

Let's say I wanted to create something to help a person select the right cell phone from a list of 15 available models. Is it possible to create something where I could ask the user a series of 5 simple yes/no questions like "Do you plan to text and email often on your cell phone?", "Are multimedia tools like a music player important to you?", etc and then automatically present a list of phones that match up with their responses?

Sorry this is so poorly-worded. I am new to Director and only know the very basics of Lingo so any suggestions would be much-appreciated!

Thank you

• 1. Re: Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

What you're asking for is manageable with Director, but you need to put some flesh on the bones of your logic, largely around the questions asked making your selection pool narrower. It sounds like something suited to a database, but whether that needs to be a fully fledged DB or a lingo list I can't say.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?
            yankeeschick Level 1

Sean, thanks for the input.

I'm not quite sure what you're advising the next step to be though. Would it help if I further described the exact questions the users will be presented with?

• 3. Re: Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?
              Applied CD Level 1

Hey Yankee,

A conditional (binary) tree would be easy to write but probably not sophisticated enough to actually solve your problem. How about this: ask the user to rank features in terms of importance, 5 = very important, 0 = not at all important. Let’s use the following features as an example: Price, Full Keyboard, Camera.

In Director you could use a lingo property list to give each phone a score for a particular feature: 0 = feature missing, 15 = best, for price -1 = cheap, -15 = expensive. I wouldn’t consider lists (and property lists in particular) a beginner’s topic but it should be manageable with a lot of reading:

LG = [#price:-15, #keyboard:15, #camera:10]

Motorola = [#price:-9, #keyboard:10, #camera:8]

Nokia = [#price:-1, #keyboard:0, #camera:2]

Make a property list out of the user’s input similar to the feature lists:

User = [#price:3, #keyboard: 4, #camera: 3]

Multiply the user preference list against each of the phone feature lists:

LG = [#price:-45, #keyboard:60, #camera:30]

Motorola = [#price:-27, #keyboard:40, #camera:24]

Nokia = [#price:-3, #keyboard:0, #camera:6]

Then add each of the feature scores:

LG = 45

Motorola = 37

Nokia = 3

Create a new list of phones in score order (high to low), this should be your recommendation list with the highest score = best choice for this user.

Recommendations = [ ”LG”, “Motorola”, “Nokia”]

If the user had been more price conscious his or her input might have been:

User = [#price:5, #keyboard: 4, #camera: 3]

The final scores would have been:

LG = [#price:-75, #keyboard:60, #camera:30] = 15

Motorola = [#price:-45, #keyboard:40, #camera:24] = 19

Nokia = [#price:-15, #keyboard:0, #camera:6] = -9

And the final recommendation:

Recommendations = [ “Motorola”, “LG”, “Nokia”]

• 4. Re: Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?

I'm not quite sure what you're advising the next step to be though. Would it help if I further described the exact questions the users will be presented with?

Your original question was along the lines of "is this possible" so I gave you my opinion based on what you provided. I wasn't advising on a next step as that's not what you asked, and there isn't enough information provided to make any suggestion. That being said I will take a leaf from James' book and recommend you break your task down into smaller manageable pieces. You probably need to think about the questions you will ask, the possible responses and how this will impact on the selections made before you start trying to write any code.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?
                  yankeeschick Level 1

Thank you both for your help!

I must say that I am already confused and overwhelmed - ha!

As I mentioned, I am brand new to Director and Lingo is a foreign lanuage to me at this point. I am glad to know that what I want to do is possible with this program, though -- now I just need to figure out how to do it.

Short of holding my hand and telling me exactly what to do, do you have any advice about how to get started? Are there some tutorials you can recommend that touch on these types of scripts?

Thanks again, and I apologize for my ineptitude

• 6. Re: Can I do this in Director: Conditional-type survey/recommendations?

Please don't apologise for being new to Director - we all started in the same position.

You have a steep learning curve ahead of you, especially if you're in a hurry. Are you familiar with any other programming/scripting languages?

You might start with a couple of articles from DOUG:

http://www.director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=293

http://www.director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=820

and then search DOUG for articles on quizzes