9 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2009 11:15 PM by Mylenium

Serious Keyframe Glitch

rbuncher

I think this is some glitch, perhaps OS related or something in AE. I have been slowly color correcting this project for the last several hours and everything has been working just fine. I change a value and a keyframe is make and the image on the screen corresponds to that change.

Now suddenly if I change a keyframe all of rest of the timeline takes on the value of the one changed keyframe. If I move to another keyframe and just slightly change it (I just have to tweak it slightly, one tenth or hundredth) and image jumps to the original values of that keyframe and all the images on the timeline adopt the same values, disregarding their own keyframed values. However the values of the keyframes read as before, it is that just the images have no correct relation to their keyframe values.

For example: On one part of the timeline the image is too dark so I move the RGB Master Gamma from 1.03 to 1.20 and the image is now where I want it. But now all the rest of the timeline has increased in value even though there many other keyframes and their numerical values have not changed.

There is a disconnect between the image and the various keyframes. Now, if I go to another keyframe where the image is now very over bright but the keyframe states it is at .86 and I tweak it to .87, it drops to the correct dark value. However all the rest of the timeline is now very dark, WITHOUT THE KEYFRAMES CHANGING NUMERICAL VALUE.

I am trying to explain this clearly but it is so frustrating and difficult to explain. This is a personal project that I have been working on for over a year. I just need to get the last bit of editing and CC work done and I can mix the audio and be done. This keyframe issue is stalling the entire process.

I am working in the simplified interface of Color Finesse.  I have hundreds of keyframes in this project. 

This has just started to happen in the last week or so after working on this project, on and off, for months.

Is this at all clear?

Any idea as to what is happening?

I am using CS3 on a mac book pro.

Thanks 
      Bob

• 1. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
          yenaphe Level 4

So, if i understand correctly your issue, when changing a Keyframe value, it update "visually" all the composition, but doesn't change the other keyframes values that's right ?

If it's the case, maybe you'd want to update your graphic card driver. You can try to turn on (or off) the OpenGL in preferences.

Can you try to export a part of your movie where it was "visually" changed to see, if it's also on exported movie or just in preview mode.

And of course i assume that every time you make a modification you only select the current keyframe, and not the property.

• 2. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Color Finesse? Please make sure, that you enable the stopwatch on the main Parameters control in the top area. The other control groups will not animate any changes, if that parameter is inactive. They are merely alternate representations of the controls in the full interface mode and thus don't behave any different than when working with the full UI. If that's not it, then it's very likely a refresh problem either due to the graphics card not reloading and updating its texture buffer (should you use OpenGL) or AE using outdated frames from its disk and conformed media caches. For the latter, the obvious solution is to flush the caches, for the first one, try to install a different driver.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
              rbuncher Level 1

I am not and have never used OpenGL.

I cleared the caches, trashed prefs in AE. This has not helped and still the keyframes refuse to work correctly.

Please make sure, that you enable the stopwatch on the main Parameters control in the top area. The other control groups will not animate any changes, if that parameter is inactive. They are merely alternate representations of the controls in the full interface mode and thus don't behave any different than when working with the full UI.

I don't understand the above statement. It does not seem to matter if I activate keyframes on the timeline or in the upper window effects window. If I activate or make a change in one window the same change occurs in the other.

Thinking more about this I realize that it began to happen after the only time my macbook pro crashed.

What happened was that I was in the full Color Finesse interface, reading the help files to better use that program, and tried to save a look as a preset. I hit a couple keystrokes, I forget exactly perhaps shift and F2, and the screen went black, the mac shut off. I rebooted and went on. (These strokes don't work for a laptop without reprograming the keys)

Because of that crash, perhaps some file in AE became corrupt. It first the keyframe problem only happened once and then went away but now it is impossible to get the keyframes to work correctly.

If this is the case, what should I do. Reinstall AE? I am loath to reinstall AE this far along in a project.  I will clone the system drive before reinstalling AE.

I think I will reinstall AE this coming week. I suppose I should completely uninstall it then reinstall. I am concerned about doing this in the middle of a project. Any ideas as the best way to go about reinstalling?  Would I need the exact version that I was using?   CS3   8.0.2.27

Any thoughts as to if this could be the problem and the solution or otherwise.

Thanks,
              Bob

• 4. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch

Crashes should not affect the code as such, but perhaps some config data is defunct. Have you looked into the Synthetic Apaerture sub-folder inside your plug-in folder and deleted the possibly offending settings? Also trash the AE prefs (User:John:Library:Preferences:Adobe:After Effects:8.0) and see if it makes any difference. When reinstalling, don't worry about the version. Adobe Updater should take care of the matter. 8.0.2.27 is the latest update, the install disks have the vanilla 8.0 on them.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
                  rbuncher Level 1

I have just had a chance to get back to this project.

I have already trashed the AE prefs and that did not help.

I just looked into the Synthetic Aperture plugin file and could not find anything to delete. There are just some pdf files and the program.

I have cloned the boot drive and am readly to reinstall AE but am still kind of nervous about reinstall in the middle of a project.

Thanks,

Bob.

• 6. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
                    rbuncher Level 1

Oh, and by the way, will I have to worry about activation or deactivation?

Thanks,

Bob

• 7. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
                      Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

In theory, if you're going to re-install in the same physical drive, you shouldn't have to deal with activation/de-activation at all. If you're going to install in a different volume, then it's recommended that you de-activate then activate again after install. In fact, you shouldn't have to worry but it's a good idea to de-activate in either case, just to make sure you don't loose an activation in the process.

• 8. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch
                        elaine montoya Level 3

hmmm... I have seen situations where a file can become corrupt from a crash, and/or other reasons. (vs the application itself).

- Can you try opening the project and saving it as a different file name in a different location on your computer and see if that works?

- If that does not work, can you open a new project and import the old file as a pre-comp and see if that works?

Finally, I would try testing the file to see if it just becomes corrupt at a certain point...

This can be time consuming, but if it works, it would probably be less time than re-creating the project

Open the file, and save as a different file name.

With the new file open, delete the last 75% of your work.

Try color correcting again using keyframes and see if the problem exists.

If it the problem does NOT exist, open the original file and repeat the process - this time, delete the last 50% of your work.

If keyframing is working correctly, repeat the process, deleting the last 25% of your work...

Repeat this until you can narrow down where the problem started taking place.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted....

elaine

• 9. Re: Serious Keyframe Glitch

katanna24 wrote:

Oh, and by the way, will I have to worry about activation or deactivation?

Personally I always de-activate when installing something critical, e.g. a service pack update on Windows machines because it can possibly disable the licensing service. On Macs this is less critical, as the whole system is much less complex and each application is pretty much left alone. Still, since the licensing system is tied to your harddrive footprint/ checksum, it's not the worst idea to deactivate before any serious surgery. Apart from that, I'm still slightly puzzled by things not working for you. This should definitely not require such complex procedures to fix. The only thing I can think of, is that you are using controls that use hold keyframes (curves, hue offset) and somehow it interferes with the ones that use interpolated keyframes...

Mylenium