8 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 6:14 AM by Eddie Lotter

Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270

amandaisite

Hello,

Our company is trying to make the transition between CS3 and CS4 and we are having a problem with exporting videos to our ususal size of 480 x 270. There are thin black lines appearing at the top and bottom of the video. We have tried playing around with all the settings and have been unable to remove it. The original footage size is 720 x 576 and we have never experienced this problem with CS3. We have tried with our two main video formats - flash and windows media.

Any help is really appreciated as we'd rather not have to stay with CS3.

Thanks,

Amanda

• 1. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Adobe corrected the PAR sizes across the CS4 suite to match the BBC standard.  This is likely the source of your issue.  The PAR sizes in CS3 are "wrong".

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

For more detail see: Aspect Ratio

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
              amandaisite Level 1

Thanks for your help guys, have managed to tweak the PAR in windows export setting but can not do this when exporting to flash.

Is there a way to set it so that it permenantly sets the project to the required PAR, regardless of the video format?

We place our videos in a white player and the black lines (albeit thin) are very obvious!

Amanda

• 4. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
                Colin Brougham Level 6

You shouldn't have to do anything with PAR--for most applications on the web, I'd imagine you'd want square pixels. The way I've found to fix this situation is to use the crop settings. Just enable the cropping on the Source side, and start by taking something like 4 pixels off of the left and right--no need to crop the top and bottom. Switch over to the Output tab, and make sure Scale to Fit is selected. Set up your encode preset (format, size, etc), and check the output preview to see if the black lines are gone. If not, go back to the Source tab and change the crop settings by a few pixels. Repeat until the black lines are gone. You can save the crop settings with an encoder preset, so you don't have to do this everytime.

ADDENDUM: If you notice that your video is getting stretched a bit to the point that it's noticeable, you can also crop the top and bottom to help maintain the display aspect ratio (DAR). You'll have to slightly increase the left/right crop at the same time (otherwise the black lines will reappear), but you'll still only be cropping a few pixels around the edges. It'll take a little going back and forth between the Source and Output tabs, but again, once you've got it set up properly, save the crop settings with an encoder preset so you don't have to do it again.

• 5. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
                  amandaisite Level 1

Thanks for your help with the cropping suggestion, it has helped with the line at the bottom but cant get rid of the top one as of yet. The thing that has really got me wondering today is that we have installed CS4 Premiere on anothers computer here and the black bars don't appear at all on export! If this was something that has occured as a general change from CS3 to CS4 surely the lines would show up on all computers?

We have been trying to work out what is different between our computers and the only major difference is that mine has installed updates - would this make a difference, and how do you remove them?

Another differing factor is that my machine has matrox, that one hasn't...however, we have tried installing CS4 on another machine without matrox and the black lines are still appearing so I don't think that factors in to it.

I'm reluctant to spend another several days cropping and working out how to get rid of the black bars when it is obviously possible another way - but I don't know how or why! Any suggestions?

Amanda

• 6. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

As you can tell, Amanda, the variables involved are numerous.

The best thing to do now, to eliminate post after post of guesses, is to post screenshots.  Here's where I'd start:

1. Screenshot of the Interpret Footage dialog for a source clip from the problem computer and again from the computer that "does it right".

2. Screenshot from the same 2 computers of the sequence settings dialog for the sequence you are trying to export.

3. Two screenshots from each computer of the Export settings dialog - one with the source image showing and one with the output image showing.  All with the video settings tab showing.

So that'd be 8 screenshots total.  Hopefully one or more of us here will be able to tell what's going on.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
                      amandaisite Level 1

Ok...it seems that the only reason black bars disappear on the other computer is that the sequence has been set up to 1024 x 576.

That was the only difference between computers and found that to be the cause, I have tried creating a sequence at this size as opposed to the usual 720 x 576 and this does seem to get rid of the black bars. When the other computer sets up sequence at 720 x 576 they have the black bars too.

However... if i create a sequence at 1024 x 576 i cannot make it a matrox project and need that for our wipes, ripple effects, corner pins etc...

Am now quite stuck as cant find a solution to all problems and either way the quality of export seems reduced to how it was with cs3 and want to maintain the quality. At the moment am having to create a 720 x 576 project and exporting at the same size only to have to use another programme to resize the video. This seems a waste of time and money as we have this ?amazing? software...

Amanda

• 8. Re: Black bar problem with exporting at 480 x 270
                        Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please respond to post #6.

Cheers
                        Eddie