23 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2009 12:49 PM by Ian Lyons

Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?

JohnWinkler Level 1

Any way to turn off daily reminders that the curent 5.3 beta expired 31 March?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?
          John Joslin Level 6

Remove the plug-in?  

• 2. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?
            JimHess-8IPblY Level 3

And replace it with the 5.3 final release.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?
              JohnWinkler Level 1

OK,  should have mentioned I had downloaded and installed the final release a number of times but ACR was still coming up as “beta”.

From the wave of compassion I’ve deduced no-one else is having this problem so have looked deeper and managed to resolve.

I had renamed my beta version and left it in same it in the same folder for posterity as I usually do, and copied in the final release with correct name “camera raw.8bi”. I know this isn’t exactly what the installation instructions state but it had previously worked fine for all raw updates across CS2 & CS3 on XP.

It appears that somewhere in a combination of new laptop / Vista / CS4 hangs on to a notion of the older version .8bi, regardless of the now doctored name, re-boots etc, and completely ignores the new file with the correct name.

I moved the old renamed beta out (leaving the new file alone) and on re-launch all is good.

Thanks for the sympathy.

• 4. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?
                John Joslin Level 6

It has been pointed out many times in this forum that renaming or overwriting the old plug-in is wrong. You recognised this yourself in that you mentioned the instructions

You must have been lucky in the past to get away with it, because dozens of users have discovered that ACR doesn't work if you dont follow the instructions.

• 5. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

JohnWinkler wrote:

I had renamed my beta version and left it in same it in the same folder for posterity as I usually do, and copied in the final release with correct name “camera raw.8bi”.

That is SERIOUSLY something you DON'T want to do...renaming in place does NOT work for ANY plug-in. The only way to disable a plug-in is to remove it from the plug-ins folder. You can NOT have two versions of the same plug-in in the same folder even if the names are different...the wrong plug-in will end up getting loaded as you've found with the beta...

The _ONLY_ way to have multiple plug-ins such as Camera Raw in the same folder is if you put a magic disabling character in the front of the plug-in name. On Mac it's an option/L (¬). When that is the first character, Photoshop won't load it. Note however that Adobe's recent Camera Raw installer will barf if there are multiple plug-ins in the file format plug-in even if the disabling character is in place.

Bottom line, what you've been doing should not be done. If you want to keep multiple versions of camera Raw for comparing or research, pull them completely out of the file formats folder and store them somewhere else. The only place on (and one only) Camera Raw plug-in in place.

• 6. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?
                    JohnWinkler Level 1

Hmmm, I’ve been a naughty boy. I did search prior to posting and appreciated the input.

However my curiosity got the better of me. My PS CS4 on Vista now actually seems reasonably tolerant of finger poking and more predictable in an alphabetic kind of way.

In ACR hosted by Photoshop:

Installing the 5.3 beta “camera raw.8bi” on its own works happily, albeit with daily reminders.

Depositing the 5.3 final release alongside it as “a_naughty_experiment_that_might_provoke_the_forum.8bi” and re-launch PS, and it’s chosen ahead of the beta and life is better.

However rename 5.3 final release to ”d.8bi” and on re-launch PS now pushes it back on the queue and re-selects the 5.3 beta “camera raw.8bi” ahead of it (my problem).

Retaliate by renaming 5.3 beta as “e.8bi” and it’s now pushed to the back, with 5.3 final release “d.8bi” being chosen. And so on.

Depositing any combination of 5.1, 5.2 & 5.3, PS selects the latest version regardless of the name given – aside from the “beta/final spelling within the latest version” thing above if both 5.3 beta and final are poured into the mix.

ACR hosted by Bridge:

Simply the lowest alphabetic name is being chosen regardless of any combination version/beta/final. (thought you had PS managed and Bridge starts behaving differently).

There endeth the trivia.

Oh, I'm back to only one plug-in...with correct name....& sorry for my sins.

• 7. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                      Bill_Janes Level 2

Jeff Schewe wrote:

That is SERIOUSLY something you DON'T want to do...renaming in place does NOT work for ANY plug-in. The only way to disable a plug-in is to remove it from the plug-ins folder.

The above statement is not true. There is a German software called Plugin Manager that manages plugins by renaming them in place. For example, to deactivate the Lens Blur filter (Lens Blur.8bf), the file is renamed Lens Blur_8bf and it no longer is active in Photoshop.

http://www.icnet.de/plugin_manager/index.html

• 8. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Jeff's advice is correct.

Keeping a renamed plug-in is like keeping a used kleenex in your pocket after blowing your nose with it instead of discarding it.

There have been numerous cases reported of re-named ACR plug-ins interfering with the valid ACR plug-in.

• 9. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                          Bill_Janes Level 2

Jeff Schewe wrote:

That is SERIOUSLY something you DON'T want to do...renaming in place does NOT work for ANY plug-in. The only way to disable a plug-in is to remove it from the plug-ins folder.

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Keeping a renamed plug-in is like keeping a used kleenex in your pocket after blowing your nose with it instead of discarding it.

Does this mean that one should not use the Plug-in Manager that I referenced? It has worked well for me in the past. As I understand sthe operation of Photoshop, it scans the plug-in folder(s) at startup and loads plug-ins that are identified by the file extensions *.8bi, *.8bf, *.8li, etc. Plugin Manager works by renaming the file name to eliminate the extension. The plug-in then will not be loaded. I don't find Ramón's analogy particularly apt.

Another way of suppressing the loading of plug-ins is given in the Photoshop help:

Suppress the loading of plug-ins

Add a tilde ~ character at the beginning of the plug-in name, folder, or directory. That file (or all files in the folder) will be ignored by the application.
                          • 10. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration

Bill_Janes wrote:

Does this mean that one should not use the Plug-in Manager that I referenced?

It means two things to me:

• I see absolutely no advantage to keeping a renamed, unwanted plug-in in place instead of taking it entirely out of the Photoshop path, even zipping it to be safe if you insist on keeping an unused, presumably undesirable plug-in.

• I would not recommend any plug-in manager for the same reason.

I know what the Help says and I know that some people like to rename stuff.  I don't.  I'm 100% the "nuke 'em" type of user.

On the other hand, what others do after being offered my suggestions is entirely outside my bailiwick.

• 11. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                              JohnWinkler Level 1

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

& later added:

I see absolutely no advantage to keeping a renamed, unwanted plug-in in place instead of taking it entirely out of the Photoshop path, even zipping it to be safe if you insist on keeping an unused, presumably undesirable plug-in.

Photoshop hygiene sensitivities aside, renaming is simpler and cleaner and has been standard IT practice for decades........

• 12. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                Jeff Schewe Level 5

JohnWinkler wrote:

Photoshop hygiene sensitivities aside, renaming is simpler and cleaner and has been standard IT practice for decades........

Photoshop ain't "IT" bud...there are very specific recommendations for dealing with Photoshop, Camera Raw and Bridge and if you want a professional and reliable installation of the software, you don't want to be doing things the "' IT way".

As it relates to Camera Raw being hosted in Bridge and Photoshop, I think it's very foolish to do ANYTHING other than keep a single, updated camera Raw plug-in in the correct folder.

Hey, you are welcome to do whatever the heck you want to do, but if you don't follow the very specific set of "Photoshop Rules" then don't come around here asking for help when stuff blows up.

• 13. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration

JohnWinkler wrote:

…renaming is simpler and cleaner…

That is so absurd as to brook no commentary.

NOTHING, absolutely nothing can be "cleaner" than totally deleting a file.  Few things are as simple.

• 14. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration

JohnWinkler wrote:

…has been standard IT practice for decades…

IT folks are the biggest obstacle to the functioning of computer systems.  That has been my experience since the early 1960s.

Darn!  I can't believe it's been almost half a century since I first used computers in the course of my work.

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

• 15. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                      JohnWinkler Level 1

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

NOTHING, absolutely nothing can be "cleaner" than totally deleting a file.  Few things are as simple.

Contex adjustment: "Simpler & cleaner" was an observation only in response to moving elsewhere to additional folders & suggestions of zipping etc....if the old plugin was wanted.

Old habits, people mostly aren't naughty by intent.

So not arguing. As mentioned above I have attoned my sins and now have one only correctly named ACR.

• 16. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration

JohnWinkler wrote:

…if the old plugin was wanted.

Actually, that's the peculiarity that baffles me most.  

Old plug-ins are usually available for downloading, in backups and on original media.  I'd just rather install fresh in case of need—which I have never had.

• 17. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                          Bill_Janes Level 2

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

It means two things to me:

• I see absolutely no advantage to keeping a renamed, unwanted plug-in in place instead of taking it entirely out of the Photoshop path, even zipping it to be safe if you insist on keeping an unused, presumably undesirable plug-in.

• I would not recommend any plug-in manager for the same reason.

I know what the Help says and I know that some people like to rename stuff.  I don't.  I'm 100% the "nuke 'em" type of user.

On the other hand, what others do after being offered my suggestions is entirely outside my bailiwick.

The main advantage of the renaming scheme is simplicity and ease of use. As explained in the referenced article on optimizing Photoshop, each plug-in is loaded into Photoshop at startup, increasing launch time and consuming memory. A plug-in manager allows one to disable plug-ins that are not needed for the current task, thereby improving performance. If a given plug-in is needed for a different task, it can easily be restored. Zipping the plug-in to another directory would be cumbersome.

Since I currently have a more powerful machine than previously, startup time and memory usage is less critical and I no longer use the plug-in manager. Nonetheless, a proper renaming strategy is a  valid approach. I think that some of the problems with renaming stem from the failure to mask the file extension. Any *.8bi file will be loaded and can cause trouble.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1910425,00.asp

• 18. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration

Bill Janes,

I've always have had my doubts about your sanity; now I know for sure:  you're nuts.  

Well, you're a Windows user…

Bill_Janes wrote:

The main advantage of the renaming scheme is simplicity and ease of use.

How anyone can say that with a straight face…  wait, I can't see your face. 

How renaming an unneeded plug-in can be easier and simpler than nuking it can only be understood by a special person.  "Special" as in Special Ed.

• 19. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Bill_Janes wrote:

The main advantage of the renaming scheme is simplicity and ease of use. As explained in the referenced article on optimizing Photoshop, each plug-in is loaded into Photoshop at startup, increasing launch time and consuming memory. A plug-in manager allows one to disable plug-ins that are not needed for the current task, thereby improving performance.

Have you even tested this with Camera Raw–which is _NOT_ a normal "Photoshop Plug-in" since it's not, be design, loaded into Photoshop's plug-in folder structure but is a dual purpose Photoshop/Bridge plug-in. If you have _NOT_ tested a plug-in manager with Camera Raw, I suggest, since this is the Camera Raw forum and we are dealing with an OP that had problems specifically because he didn't know how to deal with multiple version of Camera Raw that you QUIT making suggestions to people that may cause far more grief than benefit?

Can we agree that in the case of Camera Raw, Bridge an Photoshop, one should NEVER have more than ONE version EVER loaded in the same folder unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing?

Seriously, Camera Raw in not a simple "plug-in"...it's a multi-purpose, dual application raw processing pipeline which if you treat it like a simple "plug-in" will get your arse in a jam...

• 20. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                                Bill_Janes Level 2

eff Schewe wrote:

Have you even tested this with Camera Raw–which is _NOT_ a normal "Photoshop Plug-in" since it's not, be design, loaded into Photoshop's plug-in folder structure but is a dual purpose Photoshop/Bridge plug-in. If you have _NOT_ tested a plug-in manager with Camera Raw, I suggest, since this is the Camera Raw forum and we are dealing with an OP that had problems specifically because he didn't know how to deal with multiple version of Camera Raw that you QUIT making suggestions to people that may cause far more grief than benefit?

Can we agree that in the case of Camera Raw, Bridge an Photoshop, one should NEVER have more than ONE version EVER loaded in the same folder unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing?

Seriously, Camera Raw in not a simple "plug-in"...it's a multi-purpose, dual application raw processing pipeline which if you treat it like a simple "plug-in" will get your arse in a jam...

As a matter of fact, I have tested the handling of Camera Raw.8bi with the Plug-in Manager in Windows XP (not exactly, but I merely renamed the files with the file manager in the same fashion used by the Plug-in Manager). I did the test using ACR 4.3 and 5.3 and PSCS4 ver 11.0.1. If you place both files in the appropriate folder with their original file names, both are loaded at startup (as shown by the Help, About Plugin command). Photoshop uses 5.3. However, I agree that this is a dangerous situation, and this has been confirmed on several occasions by none other than Thomas Knoll. If I rename the files to Camera RawNew.8bi and CameraRawOld.8bi, both are loaded at startup, but the 5.3 version is used by Photoshop--again, this is not recommended. However, if I rename the 4.3 version to Camera Raw_8bi and leave the 5.3 version with its original name, the 4.3 is not loaded and the 5.3 version is used. This is likely safe, but I did not do extensive testing. I understand that the Mac OS is less dependent on file name extensions than Windows, so this strategy might not work for the Mac.

As to going off topic, you were the first to do that as shown by the quote below. I added my comments merely to show that renaming in place does work for some plug-ins.

Jeff Schewe wrote:

• 21. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                                  Bill_Janes Level 2

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Bill Janes,

I've always have had my doubts about your sanity; now I know for sure:  you're nuts.  

Well, you're a Windows user…

I use Windows and the PC not because I believe that they are superior, but because Windows is used at work and at the university where I teach. Mixing platforms would complicate my life. Furthermore, some specialized programs that I use are available only on the Windows platform. I agree that the Mac and its OS are a superior platform for Photoshop and most other applications. Also, the Mac is expensive. By constructing my own Intel i7 Windows machine, I saved a lot of money and have a fast stable platform that meets my needs.

• 22. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                                    Jeff Schewe Level 5

Bill_Janes wrote:

I did the test using ACR 4.3 and 5.3 and PSCS4 ver 11.0.1. If you place both files in the appropriate folder with their original file names, both are loaded at startup (as shown by the Help, About Plugin command). Photoshop uses 5.3.

So, let me get this straight...you're loading ACR 4.3 _AND_ 5.3 into the CS4 File Formats folder? And you think this is a good idea why? While it seems ACR 4 will load and run in Photoshop CS4, you surely can't consider this a normal use case, right?

So, what, are you arguing for the sake of argument? The OP posted the original plea for help because he was engaged in plug-in renaming and it blew up on him. You'll even admit that you've seen Thomas Knoll, the primary author of Camera Raw tell people not to engage in plug-in renaming. Yet, you wanna get into MY face about this issue because you feel like pissin' me off? I'll have to see if there's an ignore function here on these new forums so I can ignore you here as I do on LuLa...

:~)

In the meantime, for anybody else reading this, ignore this sidetrack and do NOT expect renaming of Camera Raw to be a simple method of controlling what version of Camera Raw will load unless you know what the heck you are doing...

• 23. Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration reminders?Re: Turn off 5.3 beta expiration
                                                      Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I think this thread has served its purpose - it's now locked