6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 7:19 AM by ilssac

Use of jrun in coldfusion

chandra12345

Hi,

i am new bee to coldfusion.I have one query on coldfusion.

Both jrun and coldfusion are application servers.Then what is the use jrun in coldfusion.

Advance Thanks,

• 1. Re: Use of jrun in coldfusion
          ilssac Level 5

ColdFusion, since version 6, is now written in Java and runs on a JVM such as JRun and others.

CFML is processed by ColdFusion into JavaByte code.

As such you can easily extend ColdFusion with Java code if and when desired.

• 2. Re: Use of jrun in coldfusion
            chandra12345 Level 1

Hi lan,

Thanks for response,

Can we run coldfusion application without jrun?

If we run then what is use of jrun.

Advance Thanks

• 3. Re: Use of jrun in coldfusion
              ilssac Level 5

ColdFusion must run on a JVM (Java Virtural Machine).   JRun does not have to be it.  But if you do not already have another JVM, JRun comes bundled in for no extra cost and is automatically installed.  You do not need to aquire or install it seperately.

• 4. Re: Use of jrun in coldfusion
                chandra12345 Level 1

Hi Ian,

Thanks,

If we go for option multiserver installation ,then we get option jrun administrator.If jrun is used only for jvm ,then  why we are getting jrun administrator

• 5. Re: Use of jrun in coldfusion
                  BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  Can we run coldfusion application without jrun?

I would say no. My understanding is, what you call the Coldfusion application server is actually the JRun J2EE application server embedded within Coldfusion. In other words, Coldfusion is the aeroplane, JRun the engine.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Use of jrun in coldfusion
                    ilssac Level 5

When you go with Multi-server the servers are actually multiple JRun servers each one running the ColdFusion Java Application.  These can be controlled by the JRun Console if desired.  I can say in four years of using multi-home servers I have never opened the JRun console, except for curiosity about what it looked like.  Back in the early days of Java based ColdFusion, i.e. version 6.0, one had to make much more use of the JRun console to set up multiple ColdFusion instances.  But this has long since been rolled into the ColdFusion Administrator Control Panel.

The JRun Console is there because you do not have to only run ColdFusion servers in JRun.  And if you choose to run others you would use the JRun console to administer them.  But otherwise you can just know it is there and never look at it.

1 person found this helpful