5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 11:43 AM by JaredHess

<Symbol> tag. Where's it coming from? How do I remove them?

JaredHess Level 1

Hi ya'll.

We have a wee problem. RoboHelp seems to be adding in <symbol> tags in front of HTML symbol codes and converting symbols to symbol codes inside the .htm text.

For example, consider this this sentence in our previous version's help, likely compiled in RH6:

If 'B' curves are present in the IGES file, select this check box to use them as the trim definition. You may also need to select this check box if the model has poorly defined 'C' trimming curves. By selecting this check box, the 'C' trimming curves will be regenerated from the 'B' trimming curves.

Now compare that with the topic from our current version's help, compiled with RH7:

If <symbol name="Single Opening Quote">&#8216;B&rsquo; curves are present in the IGES file, select this check box to use them as the trim definition. You may also need to select this check box if the model has poorly defined <symbol name="Single Opening Quote">&#8216;C&rsquo; trimming curves. By selecting this check box, the <symbol name="Single Opening Quote">&#8216;C&rsquo; trimming curves will be regenerated from the <symbol name="Single Opening Quote">&#8216;B&rsquo; trimming curves.

There are two issues.

1) The insertion of the <Symbol> tag.

2) The changing of the character symbol to an HTML code.

My main issue today, however, is with the <symbol> tag. These tags are now popping up during our quality management test done by our translation software. We've figured out how to set them as hidden in the translation software for future versions, but it's a pain in the current version sifting through what are invalid or invalid items.

I'd rather the <symbol> tags didn't clutter up my source at all.

My questions:

1) These <symbol> tags seeem, in my mind, to be purely informational. Is this correct, or do they serve some other purpose?

2) Is there a setting somewhere in RH to way to turn these tags off?

3) If they are always on, is there a comprehensive list of <symbol> tags with their named attributes so we can hide them in our translation software? So far, we've only detected these:

<symbol name = "Single Opening Quote">

<symbol name = "En Dash">

<symbol name = "Em Dash">

<symbol name = "Ellipses">

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jared Hess

RH 7 / Vista 32 Bit