8 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2009 12:15 AM by ImSidney

(Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II

flashbangphoto

I'm seriously considering buying Adobe's Production Premium, but I am extremely concerned about Premiere's support for the files outputted by my Canon 5D Mark II, h264 .mov 1920x1080p 30fps.

I've done a lot of research and it seems as if a lot of folks with a lot more experience, better hardware components and 3rd party software packages haven't been able to find a workflow that is reasonable in terms of effort and time required just to get a project going.

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't seriously consider moving to an Apple solution with FCP Studio over production premium cs4 with premiere and after effects?

Thanks for your honest opinions!

Matt.

Intel Core 2 Duo e6850 3.0ghz

4 GB DDR2

2.5 TB Seagates & Samsung 7200 rpms (No drives are in RAID)

Windows XP

• 1. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

flashbangphoto wrote:

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't seriously consider moving to an Apple solution with FCP Studio over production premium cs4 with premiere and after effects?

If you want to stay on PC, would be the main reason.

I dont know how well FCP handles it; but typically fcp converts everything to an intermediate format (pro res)

• 2. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't seriously consider moving to an Apple solution

Best one I can think of is that it would be an Apple solution.

The better solution would be to get a real video camera for video production.  While the world of DSMC is rapidly approaching, we're not quite there yet.

• 3. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
              flashbangphoto Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Curt!

Curt Wrigley wrote:

flashbangphoto wrote:

If you want to stay on PC, would be the main reason.

I dont know how well FCP handles it; but typically fcp converts everything to an intermediate format (pro res)

I am definitely cringing at the thought of ditching all of my PC components (well, I suppose I can re-use the hard-drives at least in the Mac Pro if that's what I get). I do like a lot about windows, and being able to upgrade my stuff to my own liking rather than being stuck in a closed ecosystem. I also game a lot so that's a consideration too.

The way FCP converts the video to Pro Res sounds pretty smart and definitely take the guesswork out.

Jim Simon

Best one I can think of is that it would be an Apple solution.

The better solution would be to get a real video camera for video production.  While the world of DSMC is rapidly approaching, we're not quite there yet.

Thanks for your reply, Jim!

I agree making the switch to Apple and Final Cut Studio might not be the best solution.

I cannot really speak to getting a "real" video camera just because Premiere cs4 can't seem to play nicely with the camera I currently have.

I am able to drag and drop 5D Mark II .mov files straight into imovie 6 HD, have it import (40 gb of movies in 4-5 hrs) and then edit away with no delays on a Macbook (non-pro) with no problems whatsoever. Playback, cutting, transitions, effects are silky smooth. Imovie 6 HD came with my Macbook when I bought it in December 2006. Premiere Pro came out last year didn't it? What gives?

There are people making some "real" good stuff out there with this camera and I love its ability to use all of my Canon lenses (four), high capacity memory cards (ranging from 8gb to 32gb) and camera batteries that I already have. Buying a new, but "real", camera would mean learning a whole new camera system not to mention having to buy all of the accessories, lenses, batteries, memory cards (a Panasonic P2 16gb alone is $800 USD) and carrying all that extra stuff around. If I'm on vacation for instance every morning I would have to make the decision of carting around either the still camera or the video camera instead of just bringing something that could do it both, and potentially miss either a once in a lifetime still or video.

I'm a photographer by trade but I'm getting into video production because I feel like I will need video editing/production skills in the future or I'll be left in the dust. That isn't the only reason of course - I've always wanted to shoot video but couldn't afford or justify a quality camera until now.

Jim why do you prefer Premiere to Final Cut Pro on the Mac?

Thanks again for replying.

Matt.

• 4. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

What you have is a pro quality still cam that produces consumer video.  Ergo the consumer video apps are better designed (right now) to work with it.  Its likely sometime in teh future Pr will support these misc formats better also.   For now;  you would need to manually convert the video to a more commonly edited format (do manually what FCP does as you import)

Once Pr gets it right, it is right.  For example P2, or hdv footage edits natively, very smoothly; unlike fcp where you have to wait for it to convert it to an intermediate format when you import it.

If you are indeed serious about shooting video, you might consider getting a video cam.

• 5. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Jim why do you prefer Premiere to Final Cut Pro on the Mac?

I've never used Final Cut.  But I have extensive experience with Macs.  They're just not as good as PCs.  And currently, FCP does not come in a Windows version.  That leaves Premiere, Avid or Edius as your serious pro level NLEs in the 'affordable' price range.  Of those, only Premiere offers Dynamic Link with After Effects and Photoshop, two programs that are likely to be used with whatever NLE you choose.

• 6. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

Off topic:

Anyone notice the "More Like This Box" for this thread is actually helpful?  Its usually not; but this thread is deomnstrating if the subject line is well built, this feature has a slight chance to be useful.

Curt

• 7. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, in this case, it works nicely. For another Adobe forum, I tried to do a Search for "Canon 5D MK II" threads, as there are several. I tried all sorts of variations on this subject in the Premiere fora, and kept getting no such threads. I wish that I had seen this thread, and the "More Like This," as it would have contained all of the articles, that I wanted to link to.

Hunt

• 8. Re: (Windows) Premiere cs4 with Canon 5D Mark II
                        ImSidney

Curt Wrigley wrote:

What you have is a pro quality still cam that produces consumer video.  Ergo the consumer video apps are better designed (right now) to work with it.  Its likely sometime in teh future Pr will support these misc formats better also.   For now;  you would need to manually convert the video to a more commonly edited format (do manually what FCP does as you import)

Once Pr gets it right, it is right.  For example P2, or hdv footage edits natively, very smoothly; unlike fcp where you have to wait for it to convert it to an intermediate format when you import it.

If you are indeed serious about shooting video, you might consider getting a video cam.

I have to disagree completely with that.  I've been testing this camera along with many others, and the video quality from this thing is mind blowing, and depth of field is unsurpassed in anything below 30 grand, (Lens included).  I've used HDCAM for maybe 6 years now, and the images from this cheap (Relatively) little camera surpass most of what I've been shooting with from Sony.  The codec could use some work, but if one doesn't need to to heavily color correct, that's not really an issue.  Premiere just won't handle the files well, but Final Cut does so flawlessly, no transcoding necessary, which is unfortunate for me, as I've only got Final Cut on a lapt top, and Premiere on a monster editing system I just built a month ago.  With Final Cut, it's possible to shoot, import the CF card and use it as a scratch disc, edit on the card, and output directly to the same card, not that I recommend it, but it's possible.  In other words, the media never has to leave the card, which is useful when time is an issue, such as breaking news journalism.  I've been looking online for quite some time to see if any one had a quick solution for the Premiere issue, but as of yet, I'm going to have to stick with Final Cut until an update comes along from Adobe...  I don't like work arounds, which makes multiple editing systems necessary for me.