3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 10:08 AM by Deaf Mike

add RSS to my HTML page

Deaf Mike Level 1
      i was under the impression that you have to design XML pages in order to allow viewers to RSS that page. but i notice that nytimes.com works in HTML and you can still subscribe via RSS.

can i set this up in DW so someone can subscribe to my HTML page with RSS? or do i need special software?

thanks.
        • 1. Re: add RSS to my HTML page
          Level 7
          Deaf Mike wrote:
          > i was under the impression that you have to design XML pages in order
          > to allow viewers to RSS that page. but i notice that nytimes.com
          > works in HTML and you can still subscribe via RSS.
          >
          > can i set this up in DW so someone can subscribe to my HTML page with
          > RSS? or do i need special software?
          >
          > thanks.

RSS is a special file. When someone subscribes to it, they're telling their
          feed reader to go check that file's URL all the time. If the file has
          changed, the reader loads the info that's in it (title, link, summary, etc).
          If it hasn't changed since the last time, the reader ignores it.

Google RSS and you'll find some simple info on what is in an RSS file. Then
          the question is how you update that file....manually when you make changes
          or automatically.

Mad Dog

• 2. Re: add RSS to my HTML page
            Level 7
            .oO(Deaf Mike)

>i was under the impression that you have to design XML pages in order to allow
            >viewers to RSS that page. but i notice that nytimes.com works in HTML and you
            >can still subscribe via RSS.

The RSS file ("the feed") is written in XML, but the page it is used on
            doesn't have to be written in X(HT)ML. Both are completely independent
            things.

> can i set this up in DW so someone can subscribe to my HTML page with RSS? or
            >do i need special software?

You just have to find a convenient way to create the RSS. You can write
            it by hand if it doesn't change too often or use some software to create
            it. Of course it also depends on what the feed should contain and where
            all the data is coming from.

Then linking the feed to a page can't get easier. Just add a 'link'
            element to the page head:

<link rel='alternate' href='...' type='application/rss+xml' title='...'>

That's it. Modern browsers will then usually show an RSS icon in their
            address bar. Of course you can also add an explict link somewhere on the
            page itself for users to click on.

Just ask the search engine of your least distrust for more details.

Micha
            • 3. Re: add RSS to my HTML page
              Deaf Mike Level 1
              thanks much!