5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 6:24 AM by Gregory Lafrance

Regarding extracting data from xml to Flex application

WelcomeSurya

Hi All,

This is surya, i am new to flex.Here my quection is How can i extract data from xml file in local system to our flex application,is it possible or not.But i know how to extract data from xml file placed in source folder of perticuler project.please provide me answer asap.

Thanks .

Best Regards,

surya.

• 1. Re: Regarding extracting data from xml to Flex application
          Richard_Abbott Level 3

Surya,

as a rule Flex cannot access items in the client's local file system so if I am understanding your problem correctly you cannot do what you want. If on the server then no problem, as you have mentioned, but not on the client. You could swap to an Air application but then you would be requiring your users to download the app and run locally rather than run in the browser.

Richard

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Regarding extracting data from xml to Flex application
            WelcomeSurya Level 1

Thank u,

You mean we are unable to access data from local files at run time in flex applications,is right? but suppose at the time of integration of flex application with webdynpro are any other how to pass the required information,for example i am extracting rooms data from xml this xml and pass to list in MXMl component.This XML file is placed source folder of flex project at the time of run this application in Flex builder but i want to use this flex application SWF File in Webdynpro for java(means integration flex and wendynpro).how can i pass this rooms data to list .

Is there any alternative for this please provide me answer asap.

Best Regards,

surya.

• 3. Re: Regarding extracting data from xml to Flex application
              Richard_Abbott Level 3

Surya,

are you sure you mean the local file system of the client? When you speak of "XML file is placed source folder of flex project" it sounds as though the file will end up on the server, not the client. In that case then yes, you can use HTTPService (or a couple of other classes) to get the file back and use it in the Flex app. While you are developing then of course the distinction between client and server is not very clear, but it is useful to keep the two separate in your mind all the time. But maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning here?

Richard

• 4. Re: Regarding extracting data from xml to Flex application
                WelcomeSurya Level 1

Hi,

yaa... flex app working when xml is placed in server but here my requirement is....,whenever i integrate this flex application with webdynpro for java, pass xml data to this flex app that time this flex app run in webdynpro server(By using SWF file we can integrate flex app and webdyn pro).

My final aim is access local file information to flex app at run time.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

surya.

• 5. Re: Regarding extracting data from xml to Flex application
                  Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Here are the rules:

1) Flex apps cannot access the local (client user) file system except for shared objects, size limitation there.

2) AIR apps build in Flex can access local file system, but that is an installed app, not online Flex app.

3) SWF file for the Flex app can access data on the server in the same domain, and tutorials.myCompany.com is NOT same domain as www.myCompany.com.

4) Need crossdomain.xml file to access data in other domains.