5 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 9:31 AM by terryd1

Premiere Pro CS3 Issue with nVidia 182.50 GeForce Driver?

MarkWeiss Level 1

I recently updated the driver for the GeForce 8800GTS on my other editing workstation because it would sometimes BSOD when preparing to standby with a fault in the nvidia minidriver being reported. I updated to the current version as of today, 182.50 from nVidia's own web site.

After the driver update, I could swear I am seeing more frequent lockups of Premiere when jumping from clip to clip on a timeline of many clips. I can jump maybe half a dozen times and then Premiere will stop responding. Task Manager reports Monitor.exe 'not responding' and a few seconds later, Premiere.exe stops responding and I have to kill the app and start over. I can get it to hang within 20 seconds by just paging down through a few clips on the timeline now. The problem has existed prior, but usually after flipping though several dozen clips, not just a half dozen.

Is anyone noticing problems with more frequent lockups with the 182.50 driver?

SYSTEM CONFIG

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
      XFX PVT80GTHF9 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Mushkin Hp2-6400 Ddr2 4gb Kit
      4 Western Digital Caviar HD 500G|WD 7K 16M SATA2 WD5000AAKS
      SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ06S-W Silver Aluminum
      Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS- 650HT Power Supply
      LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Burner
      HP LP3065 30" LCD Display
      Turtle Beach Montego DDL 7.1 Dolby Digital
      Pioneer DVR-112D
      NEC Beige 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive Model FD1231H
      ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Contour Shuttle-Pro

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 Issue with nVidia 182.50 GeForce Driver?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Monitor.exe doesn't have anything to do with Premiere Pro CS4.  Does Pr CS3 use that process?

There are many programs that use a process called Monitor.exe, so even if CS3 uses it, that may not be the process that is hanging.  Here's a short list:

Acer eRecovery

ZoneAlarm

Ulead Photo Explorer

Adobe Flash Player

Acronis True Image

And more...

Please eliminate any and all of these other processes and try again.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 Issue with nVidia 182.50 GeForce Driver?
            MarkWeiss Level 1

I researched monitor.exe and it appears to be part of Windows server and is an essential service the analyzes system bottlenecks. I assume it runs when Premiere CS3 hangs, in an attempt to diagnose the problem? I originally thought it was the video monitor within Premiere.

I don't have any of the apps listed above installed. Just Flash. The system is bare bones, with just Adobe products and Alias Maya on it. No games, no internet apps, no office programs. Strictly editing, FX and animation workstation.

It appears that jumping from clip to clip causes the app to hang. If I play through the timeline, it's fine. If I do a lot of intense editing where I'm jumping around, it'll hang within a minute.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 Issue with nVidia 182.50 GeForce Driver?
              terryd1 Level 1

Hi Mark I'm running the 182.50 no problem now! I was having problems moving clips as the timeline would double in size and distort and not run correctly. The way I solved it was to to tick "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the compatibility section of the Premiere CS3 properties (right click on the icon for CS3 and then choose properties) this may help because with a 30" screen you're sure to have a high DPI setting. Terry

CS3Properties.jpg

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 Issue with nVidia 182.50 GeForce Driver?
                MarkWeiss Level 1

Hmmm, you must be running Vista, because my XP version only has the first three checkboxes, and not those last two shown in your screen shot.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS3 Issue with nVidia 182.50 GeForce Driver?
                  terryd1 Level 1

Ha! Didn't know you were running XP Mark. In my quest to sus out what was going on with my problem I put the screen res down from 32bit to 16 I could then run it no problem and while I was in Premiere go and switch back to 32 bit. I also had the Nvidia people getting me to try all the old drivers until they gave up on me. You could maybe go back to an earlier version of the graphics driver and see if that changes anything.