6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2009 10:41 AM by antonio_ing

How to create good movies with small size

antonio_ing Level 1

Hi guys

I am a newbie of abobe premiere but i think is just an amazing program. Now i have to create a movie with some clips from a camera and i just need some hints.

When i capture a movie from the camera, i can distinctly see some black lines in the captured clip. How can I remove them?

Also, when I export a movie of 1m30s the file size is 340MB which is a lot (!!!). I would like to get 7/8 MB (up to 100 MB) for each minute (like Hollywood movies ) without loosing too much quality. It that just a saving setting or have I just work with the capture settings?

thanks a lot

• 1. Re: How to create good movies with small size
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Antonio,

First a few questions:

1.) Please tell us more about the Clips that were captured. Which camera, and what is the format of those files?

2.) Just guessing, but the "black lines" are probably the times that the camera was turned off. If you did the Capture with no "Scene Detect," then you will have one long Clip. Anything, including the "black lines" can be removed. This is most easily seen and done in Timeline Mode. The Sissors Tool (Razor Tool in many programs, can "Cut" where you wish a Clip to end, and then another Cut can be placed where you wish the next Clip to begin. A simple Rt-Click can Delete and "close up" the Clips around the removed material. Note: do this before you add a Music Track, or similar, or the Clips will not close up around the removed material.

3.) What is the size and format, that you wish to deliver the completed moive into? Where do you wish to play the movie, iPod, Windiows Media Player (WMP), a DVD to be played on a computer, or a set-top player? Along these lines, the Project should match your Captured Clip(s), using one of the presets for that type/format of material. Once edited, you can Export to many different sizes and formats, once complete.

The answers to these, can provide us with enough input to help direct you in the choices. There is a fine balancing act between quality of output and file size. Without knowing how you wish to deliver the material, everyone will just be guessing and may not give you the settings that will be required.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to create good movies with small size
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm with Hunt. These sound like videos from a still camera which, if so, would explain some of your challenges.

• 3. Re: How to create good movies with small size
              antonio_ing Level 1
              Hunt, you were right. I didn't give you any detail.

I have just a samsung videocamera and the video was originally recoded in a mini DV tape. The black lines are present at the borders of the object i have recorder expecially when they move and not when i turned off the camera. I am not an expert of file formats but 300 MB/min is too much, so my question is just, to you knowledge (that is for sure better than mine), an advice for a good file format/compression for a movie that will be destined to a dvd (less than 2h of movie) for my wedding :-).

• 4. Re: How to create good movies with small size
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Antonio,

Thanks. Now we know that the black lines are basically "letter boxing" around your image area, and that your Captured material is DV-AVI Type II from the miniDV tape. There is likely a mismatch between the image's Aspect Ratio and the preset on your Project. Let's say that you filmed in 4:3 Aspect Ratio NTSC with a PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of 0.9. You should have your Project set up to the NTSC 4:3 preset, and you will not get these black lines. They are not part of your Catured footage, in that they will only appear in a mismatched Project setting. By this, I mean that you can start a new Project with the proper preset, Import your Captured footgage into it, and all will be great.

Now, you will be editing in DV-AVI Type II, which is only very slightly compressed (you cannot easily detect this compression visually - it looks like a perfect replication of your original footage on your tape), but you WILL Export to another format for delivery. That is where the file size WILL shrink. If you are going to DVD, PE will take care of the compression to MPEG-2, so that ~ 1.5 hours of footage will compress onto a 4.7GB DVD with very good quality. This is basically done "under the hood" by PE, when you author to DVD.

In very general terms, 1 hour of Duration will yield extremely good quality and compression to DVD. One and a half hours will yield very good results. Two hours will fit, and while the quality will be down a bit, it should still look quite good on DVD. Any greater Duration WILL result in noticeable degredation in quality, but still might be adequate. Only you can make that determination. My recommendation would be to set the 1.5 hr. Duration as the max target length, and work to achieve that with your editing. A two hour capture should be editable down to about 45 mins. of great video.

There are ways to get more material onto a DVD, but I doubt that we'll need to go into those yet. If you find that you cannot edit any tighter, than >1.5 hrs., please ask about these other techniques. Since they can be quite involved and might require other software, just keep them in the very back of your mind - in case of "emergency."

Do not worry about file sizes at this point in time. Only be concerned with the runtime, i.e. Duration, of your movie. The rest will likely be taken care of pretty much automatically later in the process.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to create good movies with small size
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And, Antonio, don't confuse your native video file sizes with what will ultimately appear on your DVD.

Video captured from a miniDV camcorder as a DV-AVI (the ideal format for PC-based editing) is rather large. Like about 300-400 megabytes per minute or about 12-13 gigabytes per hour. And that's good. You want that kind of quality so you can do frame-by-frame editing.

But once it's output to a DVD, Premiere Elements converts it to an MPEG, which is about 1/5 that size (depending on the quality of the compression). As Hunt says, you can fit between 60-70 minutes of full quality MPEG on a standard DVD, and about twice that on a dual-layer disc.

• 6. Re: How to create good movies with small size
                    antonio_ing Level 1

Thanks very much guys. I'll try these methods and let you know as soon as possible.