11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2008 8:22 AM by Newsgroup_User

firefox vs explorer

just_carly
      Hi, I am really struggling to have my site look the same in Firefox and Explorer. I'm used to Explorer and everything is looking fine. Firefox is totally different. Everyone bags Explorer and there seems to be this big sell happening with Firebox now, but I wish it would just go away. As far as I can see, the bugs are in Firefox. Oddly enough my tables based site looks perfectly fine everywhere - I'm reworking it into CSS and everything is going pear shaped. I feel like I need a big bottle of vodka before I can finish it.

Things such as: named anchors work in Explorer but not Firefox, background images disappear underneath other divs in Firefox when they don't in Explorer, columns don't display side by side but underneath each other in FF but not E, there are slight shifts in positioning in FF which totally mess everything up because I'm using a lot of background images.

Can someone recommend a link to info on how to make it work in both browsers?
        • 1. Re: firefox vs explorer
          TattooVampire
          Please clarify
          I use both and see no difference
          • 2. Re: firefox vs explorer
            Level 7
            > Can someone recommend a link to info on how to make it work in both
            > browsers?

The most important thing you can to do make these pages render the same is
            to VALIDATE THE PAGES. Do they validate? If they do not, fix the errors.
            If they DO validate, then you know that the reason the page renders
            differently in the two browsers is not because of coding errors. It must be
            because of usage errors - that allows you to eliminate a host of potential
            causes right off the bat.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"just_carly" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g7bhru$m0n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi, I am really struggling to have my site look the same in Firefox and
            > Explorer. I'm used to Explorer and everything is looking fine. Firefox
            > is
            > totally different. Everyone bags Explorer and there seems to be this big
            > sell
            > happening with Firebox now, but I wish it would just go away. As far as I
            > can
            > see, the bugs are in Firefox. Oddly enough my tables based site looks
            > perfectly fine everywhere - I'm reworking it into CSS and everything is
            > going
            > pear shaped. I feel like I need a big bottle of vodka before I can finish
            > it.
            >
            > Things such as: named anchors work in Explorer but not Firefox, background
            > images disappear underneath other divs in Firefox when they don't in
            > Explorer,
            > columns don't display side by side but underneath each other in FF but not
            > E,
            > there are slight shifts in positioning in FF which totally mess everything
            > up
            > because I'm using a lot of background images.
            >
            > browsers?
            >

• 3. Re: firefox vs explorer
              just_carly Level 1
              thank you, by "validate" I think you mean running that tool from Dreamweaver? I did, no errors or warnings found. What would user errors be?
              • 4. Re: firefox vs explorer
                Level 7
                > I'm used to Explorer and everything is looking fine. Firefox is
                > totally different.

That means your HTML is bad. Firefox is more standards compliant than
                explorer, so you want to first make sure your site works in Firefox, then
                'fix' for Explorer.

> Everyone bags Explorer and there seems to be this big sell
                > happening with Firebox now, but I wish it would just go away.
                > As far as I can
                > see, the bugs are in Firefox.

Nope. The bugs are in your markup/CSS.

> browsers?

Give us the link to your site so we can look at things.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: firefox vs explorer
                  Ben M Adobe Community Professional
                  Normally around here people will point to the following webpage to validate your code:

http://validator.w3.org/

And Murray did not state user errors, he said usage errors. Meaning that you are trying to make a desired effect with one set of commands when you should be using another.
                  • 6. Re: firefox vs explorer
                    just_carly Level 1
                    thanks... the site isn't live yet, but will try my luck with the validator if I ever get it up. It clearly is usage errors, considering it's me doing the usaging.
                    • 7. Re: firefox vs explorer
                      Level 7
                      You can paste the code from your local files into the validator. The files
                      don't need to be "up".

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                      ==================
                      http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                      ==================

news:g7cbk7$ldh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > thanks... the site isn't live yet, but will try my luck with the validator
                      > if I ever get it up. It clearly is usage errors, considering it's me
                      > doing the usaging.

• 8. Re: firefox vs explorer
                        Level 7

news:g7bhru$m0n$1@forums.macromedia.com...

> ...Everyone bags Explorer and there seems to be this big sell
                        > happening with Firebox now, but I wish it would just go away.

In some of my site statistics, more people are using Firefox than IE - it's
                        definitely not going away!

For what it's worth, with the normal coding methods I use to design pages,
                        there is almost never even a difference between those two browsers, much
                        less big problems.

--
                        Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                        Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                        Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                        --

• 9. Re: firefox vs explorer
                          Level 7
                          On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 06:54:54 +0000 (UTC), "just_carly"
                          <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

As others have said - it's Firefox that is usually correct, and IE is
                          less correct.

Also consider other browsers.

Safari http://www.apple.com/safari/

This is the PC version - but Safari is also very popular in the Mac -
                          so your really should check with this one.

Another good browser that is very standards compliant and useful for
                          testing is Opera - http://www.opera.com/

Most people seem to design and check with Firefox & safari first, then
                          when the site is ok - validate it ( this helps find lots of typo's and
                          similar errors.
                          Then test with IE

With Firefox and invaluable tool is
                          http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

it saves hours of my time at least, and I regularly use it when
                          testing sites that people report as having problems here.

--

~Malcolm~*...
                          ~*
                          • 10. Re: firefox vs explorer
                            malcster2 Level 1
                            what is yours sites url?
                            • 11. Re: firefox vs explorer
                              Level 7

"malcster2" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                              news:g7cv94$dr9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > what is yours sites url?

Read the thread.

--
                              Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
                              Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
                              Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
                              --