5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 8:38 AM by Kolinize

HD 3-2 frame order

Kolinize

The show I am working on just went HD. The editors (Avid Media Composer) are sending us clips that are 59.94 fps. The problem is that they are coming to us with a full frame 3-2 frame order. No, fields, just frames ordered AA BBB CC DDD EE FFF etc. I need to do roto and motion tracking, which is not pretty under these circumstances. I manually stripped out the frame repeats but it was a pain. Is anyone else dealing with this? Is there a way to automate this?   TIA.

• 1. Re: HD 3-2 frame order
          yenaphe Level 4

You should be able to remove them with the interpert footage dialog i guess.

Hope that helps,

Seb

• 2. Re: HD 3-2 frame order
            Kolinize Level 1

This only works if the footage has tradtional 3-2 pulldown with fields. This footage is progressive 59.94. I cant believe nobody else has dealt with this?!

• 3. Re: HD 3-2 frame order
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Can you drop the footage into a 29.97 fps comp to do your work?

After you're done with your roto and other compositing, you could change the fps of the comp to 59.94.

You may have good luck with the way it turns out, or, you may need to tweak a few frames.

• 4. Re: HD 3-2 frame order
                yenaphe Level 4

The only thing i see is that your editor sent you wrong files. 59.94 progressive in the pattern you describe is just nonsens. I doupt they ever recorded the show like this.

Maybe that's why not much people have dealt with this. Are you supposed to send them back at the same framerate ?

• 5. Re: HD 3-2 frame order
                  Kolinize Level 1

I work on a major network (ABC) TV show. Accoding to the editors all of ABCs shows are posted and delivered in 59.94p format. The Avids convert the 24p footage to this format on import. Our graphics department figured out that we could convert back to 24p by bringing the footage in and applying posterized time and then recomping into a 23.976 comp. We have to slide the footage in the precomp a frame or two to get it not to repeat frames, but it seems to work. I suspect others will start seeing this soon as well.