10 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 1:09 AM by Paul_LS

I am having trouble burning a disk

budmister Level 1

Every time I try to burn a disk the program stops working.  Why am I having this problem.  I am using vista.

• 1. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
          Paul_LS Level 4

Please can you give a little more detail on what you mean by stops working?

Then, firstly make sure Quicktime is updated. Also, what are your source files? What video format, photos??? PE7 can have issues with some highly compressed formats and high resolution photos (try resizing them to 1000x750). And then try working through these points in this FAQ and report back: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Instead of going directly to disc, see if you can create a folder on your hard drive, then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn to disc

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
              the_wine_snob Level 9

While working with the suggestions that Paul and John have given you, please tell us a bit more about your Project. List the Assets (file type, CODEC used, Duration, etc.) and how you have these Assets arranged on the Timeline.

Also, you say that PE "stops working." Does that mean that it just hangs with no response, crashes, yields an error message? If the first, can you exit from the program, or do you have to terminate it via Task Manager? If the latter, what is the error message?

Also, please tell us more about your computer. I'd be especially interested in hearing of your I/O (Input/Output) system with complete details on your HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) and the amount of free space that you have. If you are running low on defragmented free space, that condition will cause a hang with output, as the program does not have enough HDD real estate to do the job. The more details, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                budmister Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried a number of different projects and I always get the same error message. "Adobe premiere.exe has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I am running a 2009 Dell xps with 500 GB hard drive with 100 GB free

4 GB Ram.

Budmister

• 5. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                  Paul_LS Level 4

Did you work through the points in the FAQ?

• 6. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                    budmister Level 1

Sorry Paul this is my first try with Premiere.  I will try to give you a few more details.  I bought my Dell xps lap top in feb. It has 500 Gb hard drive and 4 Gb ram and I am running vista.  When I first used premiere elements it worked great.  After working on a large project I could not get it to burn on the lap top.  I tried it on a freinds computer and it burned just fine.  Since then I have tried new projects some small some large and I get this message each time "Adobe Premiere.exe has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 

If you could give me some advice I would be most grateful,

budmister

ps I am a novice with this program

• 7. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                      Paul_LS Level 4

Have you installed any new burning software on your PC... something like NERO or SONIC. These programs can hijack the burner and give problems.

Things to try>-

1.    Create a “pure” AVI project. Click on the timeline panel and then go to File/Export/Movie to create an AVI of your entire project. If this works, do a Save As to save a copy of your project, delete all of the video except this newly created AVI, then place the AVI on the timeline in place of the deleted video (the DVD markers should still line up).

If you are unable to create an AVI, it could be that your photos are too large or you lack the resources to render the files,as discussed below.

2.    Burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc. Select this option from Share/Output/Disc. This eliminates the possibility that other disk burning software is interfering with communication with your computer’s burner. Once the disk files are created, you can use your computer’s burner software to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a disk.

If this doesn’t work, it could be that your computer lacks the necessary resources, as discussed below.

3.    Clear space on and defragment your hard drive. A one-hour video can require up to 50 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your hard drive to render and process (depending on your source files). Even a “pure” AVI project can require 20-30 gigabytes of space.

Clear off your computer and regularly defragment it, per Maintain Your Computer, above, and you’ll reduce the likelihood of this being an issue – assuming you’ve got an adequately powered computer and an adequately large hard drive in the first place.

• 8. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                        budmister Level 1

paul,

Sorry this has taken so long to reply.  I have been super busy.  I have been able to burn a dvd using windows dvd maker but it takes much longer and I am not able to use the menu options that Adobe premiere elements has.  I get the same error message.

budmister

• 9. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Budmister,

Please tell us more about your Project (the one in PE, that yields the error).

It could well be a system problem, a problem with the Project, or perhaps with your installation of PE. Since it worked with other Projects, I'm ready to rule out the PE installation, yet that still leaves your particular Project and also your system.

When something works once, but not the next time, something has changed. I'd guess that it is the Project, but it could still be the system.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 10. Re: I am having trouble burning a disk
                            Paul_LS Level 4

As Hunt says we need more information. Can you answer the previous questions that I have posted...