4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2009 2:23 PM by [Jongware]

How to find a word written with two fonts...?

Annabelle222 Level 1

Hi,

I have a 200+ pages document that contains some words with the first letter in Times regular and the rest in Times italic. Is there any way to find those words in the document?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to find a word written with two fonts...?
          Dave Saunders Level 4

Presumably, there are other words that are exclusively in Times or Times Italic, so you need to do more that seek out words in Times.

Which version of InDesign are you using?

Are you familiar with any of the supported scripting languages?

Dave

• 2. Re: How to find a word written with two fonts...?
            Annabelle222 Level 1

I'm using InDesign CS3 and no, I'm not familiar with scripting languages.

• 3. Re: How to find a word written with two fonts...?
              Dave Saunders Level 4

Did you accidentally post here in the Scripting forum?

Dave

• 4. Re: How to find a word written with two fonts...?
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Ooooo, Dave ....

Annabelle, a non scripting solution is the following.

You cannot search for words with multiple fonts. However, since you can search for words in one font, you can exclude 'good' ones.

I will be assuming you have a regular document, with just black text ...

• In Search & Replace, GREP, search for "\b\w+\b" with a font style of "Regular" and replace with formatting: text color red. Be sure not to accidentally put anything in the replace text field -- it should be entirely empty. Now all entirely Regular words are red.
                • Repeat with the font style "Italic". Now all words that are entirely Regular or Italic are in red.
                • Search for "\b\w+\b" with a text color of Black. This will find all words that are neither entirely in Italic nor entirely in Regular.

In case you never used it before, the GREP expression means "a word boundary -- one or more word characters -- a word boundary". Essentially, it does a 'Find entire word' for any length of words.

Note that if you have words in, say, bold, bold italic, or 46 Light Italic, you will have to mark these as well with the check colour, or else you'll also find them 'bad'.

You might want to create a new swatch for marking, so you can delete it afterwards, replacing with Black again.

... Are you familiar with how to use scripts? It might be a bit easier if I wrote a tiny script, although my method will find all rogue formatted text.