7 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 2:25 PM by thebouv

Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Brent Lamborn

Has anyone tried Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit? Does it work? I see Vista is supported but the requirements page says nothing  specifically about Flex Builder on  64-bit Vista.

I also see some older questions on the topic in the forums, but nothing recent and no complete answers.

• 1. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
          thebouv Level 2

I have it running on 64Bit Vista .. and it sucks.  I mean, it works, but my machine is a quad core AMD with 6 gigs of ram, and building is SLOW.  My Mac at work is a dual core with 2 gigs of ram and the whole experience is vastly different.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
            Muzak Level 3

I'm running FB2 and FB3 on Vista 64bit without any problems.

Dual core 3.0, 4Gb ram.

Slow? No way..

Only thing that was required here was to give the install directory full permission for the current user, so that Eclipse plugins (Subclipse, etc..) could be installed. May not be required if you have UAC disabled.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
              Brent Lamborn Level 2

Thanks guys good to know I will be able to install and run it (slow or not).

Brent

• 4. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
                thebouv Level 2

I'm surprised it runs decent for you Muzak, other Vista/FB users I've talked to feel the same -- that it crawls on building even small apps.

My machine is brand new basically, and is damn near factory fresh, and FB on Vista compared to FB on a "lesser" box with OS X is a HUGE difference.  I'm considering selling my Vista box and just buying a Mac for home too.

Thought maybe it is my Java version or something, as it is just want came by default on the box, but haven't tried changing that yet.

• 5. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
                  Muzak Level 3
                  other Vista/FB users I've talked to feel the same

Well that's always an easy one..

I talked to a million FB/Vista users and they all say it's blazing fast..

See how easy that is?

I suggest you look into optimizing your system and/or look at what might be causing this.

But all I can say is FB3 sure isn't slow.

I'm surprised it runs decent for you

Well, I'm surprised you're surpised

I still have to see a MAC outperform anything compared to my PC.

• 6. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
                    Brent Lamborn Level 2

"I still have to see a MAC outperform anything compared to my PC."

Marked as correct answer. 

• 7. Re: Flex Builder 3 on Vista Home Premium 64-bit
                      thebouv Level 2

Why is your post dripping with acrimony?  I was merely trying to have a conversation with you about Vista/FB3 performance.  At no point did I say that it is absolute fact that it runs slower on Vista, I said it runs slower on mine and other Vista users I've talked to.  I didn't say it is for all Vista users but you, did I?

I really was surprised because the conversations that I have had (me, not you, not the world, no statement on the concensus is being made) were leaning me towards thinking this is a common issue.  I'll make sure to check in with you from now on though.

Next time at least attempt a little professionalism and leave the "I'm going to be a forum dick" to the kids, okay?