1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2009 8:14 AM by mschutze

Error when using Javascript to scroll page in iFrame

mschutze

Hi again!

I'm using a small Javascript to control the scrolling of a page loaded in an iFrame:

<script type="text/javascript">

var timer_id;
      function scroll_iframe(frm,inc,dir) {
        if (timer_id) clearTimeout(timer_id);
        if (window.frames[frm]) {
          if (dir == "v") frames[frm].scrollBy(0, inc);
          else window.frames[frm].scrollBy(inc, 0);
          timer_id = setTimeout("scroll_iframe('" + frm + "'," + inc + ",'" + dir + "')", 20);
        }
      }

function stopScroll() { if (timer_id) clearTimeout(timer_id); }
      </script>

<a href="javascript:;" onmouseover="scroll_iframe('menu', -4, 'v'); return true" onmouseout="stopScroll(); return true">Up</a>
      <a href="javascript:;" onmouseover="scroll_iframe('menu', 4, 'v'); return true" onmouseout="stopScroll();  return true">Down</a>

Running this results the error: "Adobe AIR runtime security violation for JavaScript code in the application security sandbox (window.setTimeOut)".

I've read the page about "Avoiding security-related JavaScript errors" but I don't know how to implement the changes proposed in my script.

Could anyone be so kind and help me with this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Error when using Javascript to scroll page in iFrame
          mschutze Level 1

Just wanted to say that I solved the problem...

After long testing I came up with two functions (one for up and one for down) that have the following code at the end:

timer_id = setTimeout(function(){scroll_iframe('up')}, 20); //move up

timer_id = setTimeout(function(){scroll_iframe('down')}, 20); //move down

I also stumbled on to another problem: if I set the scroll property from the iFrame to "no", so that the scroll bar is hidden, I'm not able to use the "scrollBy(x, y)" method.

So what I did was use "frames['iframe'].document.getElementById('menu_content_div').style.top" to change the position of the content div inside the menu page. I had to put some restrictions so that the user isn't able to scroll the menu endlessly up or down, but then it worked like a charm!

If anyone whants to do something similar, this is the code I ended up with:

var timer_id;
          var position = 0;

function scroll_iframe(direction) {

if (window.frames['iframe']) {
                      if (direction == "up" && position<0) {
                          position += 8;
                          frames['iframe'].document.getElementById('menu_content_div').style.top = position+"px";
                          timer_id = setTimeout(function(){scroll_iframe('up')}, 40);
                      }

menuContentDiv = frames['iframe'].document.getElementById('menu_content_div')
                      heightPx = document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(menuContentDiv,null).getPropertyValue('height');
                      heightValue =
          heightPx.slice(0,(heightPx.length-2)); //removes the "px at the end of heightPx
                      height = (heightValue-387)-2*(heightValue-387); //sets how much the menu can scroll up until it gets to its end - depends on the iframe height

if (dir == "down" && position>
          height) {
                          position -= 8;
                          frames['iframe'].document.getElementById('menu_content_div').style.top = position+"px";
                          timer_id = setTimeout(function(){scroll_iframe('down')}, 40);
                      }
                  }
               }

function stopScroll() {
               }

-------------------------

Scroll down: onMouseDown="scroll_iframe('down'); return true" onMouseUp="stopScroll(); return true"

Scroll up: onMouseDown="scroll_iframe('up'); return true" onMouseUp="stopScroll(); return true"