5 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2009 1:56 PM by kglad

Tracker and blog site

Beagle_chef

I'm about to go on a 1000 mile charity cycle ride.  I would like to be able to upload my position to the website at the end of each day - and have the site show precisely where I am on a map of the whole route - a sort of rolling image, if you like.  I'd also like to be able to upload blog material at the same time.  I have Actionscript 3 available.  Before I spend too much time on the prgramming, can anyone give me some pointers, or even a template to work from?

• 1. Re: Tracker and blog site
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

will you have a computer with you and will you have flash so you can change your swf files?

or do you intend to upload data to your website and have your swf process your data?  if you're uploading data only, will you be using a computer with full browser capabilities or a cellphone?

• 2. Re: Tracker and blog site
            Beagle_chef Level 1

I'll have a laptop with me, but I don't really want to take Flash to change swf files.  The laptop will have full browser facilities and I'll be looking for a WiFi / broadband connection each day.

Ideally I would just like to be able to access a private page, input the co-ordinates of the end of day position, and also a bit of a blog, and have the sxf process the data on the public pages of the website.  It would move the rolling image and substitute/add the day's blog.

I used to be able to do this sort of thing with asp files, but I don't have that sort of a server anymore

Grateful for any help!

• 3. Re: Tracker and blog site

you can use flash to create a main swf that will read an xml file to update the data used by the swf to plot your journey and that will be displayed to people following your ride.  that will be one part of your project.

you can also use flash to create a swf what will present an interface (only for you) to create/update that xml file.  your server will need to support some scripting language (like php) to save this xml file to the server so it's ready for your followers to use when the main swf loads.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tracker and blog site
                Beagle_chef Level 1

Thanks very much for that help.  I see I'll have to get the server to let me use a scripting language to save the data file - that's the bit I'll have to work on.

• 5. Re: Tracker and blog site

you're welcome.