5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2008 5:48 PM by Newsgroup_User

file help required / novice user

marcie_tyl
      I really need some help, pls! I am a novice user, having inherited a website and have tried to learn Dreamweaver by myself. Lots of trial and error!
      Spent the day yesterday downloading a trial Adobe version 9 so that I could downsize pdf files, as well as downloading a program to downsize jpegs, which don't seem to load into Dreamweaver in thumbnail size anyways.....I mention these only because they're the only things that changed between my last logon to Dreamweaver.....I have no idea if they relate or not; thought I'd cover all bases because I'm FRUSTRATED!

Now, when I log in to Dreamweaver and connect to the host I can only see my local file -- I am not able to toggle between Remote and Local because there is no option to, and there are no "Put" or "Refresh" icons. Something does look different I think (I'm sorry if I sound like a total idiot.....). When I click on the button beside the Manage Sites link, it seems to me that the line that states the website name looks different than before: it has a pic of 2 computers, then ftp://, followed by the website name.....

HOW do I gain access again to the Remote files so that I am working on the server and not just locally??? I just want it to look and work the same as it always has!!!! I need to update the site!

Thanks so much!
        • 1. Re: file help required / novice user
          Level 7
          > FRUSTRATED

We can see this - but I'm at a loss to understand what it is you are trying
          to do here. Can you say more?

> I am not able to toggle between Remote and Local because there is
          > no option to, and there are no "Put" or "Refresh" icons

You have defined a DW site, right? And you have specified both your local
          root folder, and the FTP connection properties of the Remote server?

> it has a pic of 2 computers, then ftp://, followed by the website
          > name.....

AHA - that's wrong. When you created the site in DW, you selected "FTP &
          RDS Server" and you should have selected "Site". Delete this site
          definition (this will not delete your files) and do it again, selecting
          Site. Now you will be able to define a local (on your computer) and a
          remote (on the host server) site.

> HOW do I gain access again to the Remote files so that I am working on the
          > server and not just locally???

Now for the shocker. When you define an FTP & RDS Server site the way you
          have, THERE IS NO LOCAL SITE. You are editing the files live on the server.
          Don't do that. Ever.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"marcie_tyl" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gaebp5$9nd$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I really need some help, pls! I am a novice user, having inherited a
          >website
          > and have tried to learn Dreamweaver by myself. Lots of trial and error!
          > Spent the day yesterday downloading a trial Adobe version 9 so that I
          > could
          > downsize pdf files, as well as downloading a program to downsize jpegs,
          > which
          > don't seem to load into Dreamweaver in thumbnail size anyways.....I
          > mention
          > these only because they're the only things that changed between my last
          > logon
          > to Dreamweaver.....I have no idea if they relate or not; thought I'd cover
          > all
          > bases because I'm FRUSTRATED!
          >
          > Now, when I log in to Dreamweaver and connect to the host I can only see
          > my
          > local file -- I am not able to toggle between Remote and Local because
          > there is
          > no option to, and there are no "Put" or "Refresh" icons. Something does
          > look
          > different I think (I'm sorry if I sound like a total idiot.....). When I
          > click
          > on the button beside the Manage Sites link, it seems to me that the line
          > that
          > states the website name looks different than before: it has a pic of 2
          > computers, then ftp://, followed by the website name.....
          >
          > HOW do I gain access again to the Remote files so that I am working on the
          > server and not just locally??? I just want it to look and work the same as
          > it
          > always has!!!! I need to update the site!
          >
          > Thanks so much!
          >

• 2. Re: file help required / novice user
            marcie_tyl Level 1
            In the collapsed Files panel (Window > Files), select Local View, Remote View, Testing Server, or Map View from the Site View pop‑up menu.

Note: Local View appears in the Site View menu by default.

- excerpt from online manual

I am not given the above options. there used to be a drop down available to switch between views. it's not there anymore and by default I am in local view and when i work in local view there are no arrows given to "put" to the remote file. I cannot see the remote folder.
            • 3. Re: file help required / novice user
              Level 7
              As I said, your site is not properly defined. You are in a state where
              there IS NO LOCAL view, because there is no local site. Read my post again,
              please.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gaegfj$epl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > In the collapsed Files panel (Window > Files), select Local View, Remote
              > View,
              > Testing Server, or Map View from the Site View pop?up menu.
              >
              > Note: Local View appears in the Site View menu by default.
              >
              > - excerpt from online manual
              >
              > I am not given the above options. there used to be a drop down available
              > to
              > switch between views. it's not there anymore and by default I am in local
              > view
              > and when i work in local view there are no arrows given to "put" to the
              > remote
              > file. I cannot see the remote folder.
              >

• 4. Re: file help required / novice user
                marcie_tyl Level 1
                I'm actually kind of understanding what you're saying -- thank you. This website has actually been set up in Dreamweaver for about a year (their tech support instructed me what to fill in) and "Site" was selected. I do not know why or how this ftp & rds option has appeared. I would delete and redo but I don't know what to enter for all of the options. I see that there's no way to just modify the existing site options.

I did discover that I can work on the local file and then select the option File>Save to remote server to upload to the server. This is new to me as I was used to the the arrows to upload, but whatever.

I just don't understand how things can change so drastically from one day to another as I don't change ANYTHING for fear that something will break down in the program and I can't fix it. Even the way I connect to the server has changed -- yesterday there was that blue connector (or whatever that is) icon to click on, today there's nothing to click......

Again, thanks.
                • 5. Re: file help required / novice user
                  Level 7
                  But - you see two computers in the icon to the left of the file name?
                  That's definitely wrong. Do you have any way to get the FTP details from
                  someone? If not, we can tell you how to squeeze them out of DW, I believe.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gaf19o$2qf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > I'm actually kind of understanding what you're saying -- thank you. This
                  > website has actually been set up in Dreamweaver for about a year (their
                  > tech
                  > support instructed me what to fill in) and "Site" was selected. I do not
                  > know
                  > why or how this ftp & rds option has appeared. I would delete and redo
                  > but I
                  > don't know what to enter for all of the options. I see that there's no way
                  > to
                  > just modify the existing site options.
                  >
                  > I did discover that I can work on the local file and then select the
                  > option
                  > File>Save to remote server to upload to the server. This is new to me as
                  > I
                  > was used to the the arrows to upload, but whatever.
                  >
                  > I just don't understand how things can change so drastically from one day
                  > to
                  > another as I don't change ANYTHING for fear that something will break down
                  > in
                  > the program and I can't fix it. Even the way I connect to the server has
                  > changed -- yesterday there was that blue connector (or whatever that is)
                  > icon
                  > to click on, today there's nothing to click......
                  >
                  > Again, thanks.
                  >