1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2009 4:11 AM by SiamJai

FW CS4 problem exporting buttons with rollover to dreamweaver

j spokes

Fireworks newbie here -

I've created a button with multiple states within fireworks cs4 and am having problems exporting it to Dreamweaver.

1) If I File->Preview in Browser, by button functions correctly.

2) If I export using the "HTML and Images" export option, my button works correctly.

3) But if I export using the "CSS and Images" export option, my button does not function. When I take a look at what has exported to Dreamweaver, I notice that only the gif for the up state was exported and I also notice that no javascript was exported. 

I'm stumped, any suggestions?

• 1. Re: FW CS4 problem exporting buttons with rollover to dreamweaver
          SiamJai Level 2

Yes, your observation is correct. The CSS+Images export does not include Javascript, only text, rectangles and images slices. JavaScript is included only in "HTML+Images" export, which is a traditional prototype export. It creates fixed, table-based layouts not really suitable for production sites.

As far as I know, the two workflows are not interchangeable and are meant for different purposes. If you go for CSS export and further editing in DW, I recommend using CSS sprites for your button states. Also, if you go that route, it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the features and limitations of CSS+Images export:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/export_css_images.html

We have members with more knowledge in this area - I'm sure they will help you out further. Good luck!

SiamJai

--------------------------------------------

Innovative Fireworks Tutorials