6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2009 8:57 AM by Rich_P7

Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting

Rich_P7 Level 1

I often cut or copy clips on the timeline and then want to paste them inbetween 2 clips on a different place on the timeline. What is the best way of doing this so the 2nd clip is shifted behind the one I am pasting in. At the moment it seems to post where the red marker is, and if it is not exactly inbetween clips then it automatically splits a clip in two (which I don't want). Thanks for any help :)

• 1. Re: Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The "red marker" is the CTI (Current Time Indicator). The easiest way to get it where you want it (right at the junction/butt between two Clips) is to use the PageUp, or PageDn keys. This moves the CTI either forward, or rearward, Clip-junction by Clip-junction. Then, Shift+Ctrl-v (Paste) should do what you want. If you wish to Insert the copied Clip OVER the next Clip on the Timeline, do not use the Shift key modifier, but that does not sound like your intent.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting
            Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks - that's very helpful. Is there any way I can close a gap between clips and have all teh successive clips to the right shift together so there are no gaps between them. Just wondering if there is an option or way of doing it - thanks.

• 3. Re: Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting
              Paul_LS Level 4

Right click in the gap and select "Delete and close gap"... all the clips to the right will ripple and close the gap. Note however if you have audio on the track and it "bridges" the gap then the video will not close.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting
                Rich_P7 Level 1

Thank you - that's very helpful. I am having quite a lot of difficulty though because it doesn't work most of the time. I presume this is to do with the audio. I have a seperate audio soundtrack, but I am surprised it affects whether the gap is closed or not on the video row. I don;t really understand why it sometimes close and why it doesn't its a bit annoying because when it doesn't work I have to manually shift every clip to close the gap - and I have a LOT of cuts. Is there anyway I can force it to close the gap and ignore the audio soundtrack? Thanks

• 5. Re: Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rich,

You are correct, regarding the Audio Tracks. PE doesn't know if those are Audio from the Video Clips, or something else entirely. The same would happen, if you had, say a Title, spanning across the gap, on Video Track 2. No "Delete and Close Gaps."

In these cases, you can Lasso all of the Video Clips beyond the gap (they will appear Selected/purple) and then you can move them, as one.

I wish that there was a keystroke combo to basically, "select all Clips on this Track, beyond the point of the CTI." Even PrPro does not offer that. Personally, I'd make it Ctrl-Alt-L (for Lasso), but so far, Adobe has not seen fit to incorporate this, per my feature requests.

Now, in PrPro CS4, there is an added feature Track Targeting. For some old-time users, it gets in the way, but it should allow for more things like Lasso'ing all remaining Clips, etc. Since there is no "Delete and Close Gaps," that entire feature would have to be added, and maybe with Track Targeting, it could work like you wish PE to. Trust me, you are not alone and the Audio (or other Video Track) material gets in a lot of people's way.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Pasting clips in between existing clips without Splitting
                    Rich_P7 Level 1

Thanks Hunt. I will give it a go.