9 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 3:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4

dookmaster Level 1

I am having a problem playing video in premiere pro. When I input any movie clip and try to play it in both the timeline and in the preview mode, the audio works fine but the video only plays a few seconds worth of footage at a really slow pace so that it takes up the entire time. For instance if I load a 3 minute video, the sound is normal but over the coarse of that 3 minutes I will only see a small number of the frames and they are cycled through in ultra slow motion.

All the clips play normally outside of premiere. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program. I have premiere installed on my laptop and it works fine. I have tried rendering the video first and it still doesn't work. I have tried holding shift before the program is loading and it did nothing. I have downloaded all the updates too. Videos seem to play fine in After Effects.

Also, I am having trouble when importing HD video into premiere and after effects. For some reason the programs freeze when I try to import footage from my Creative Vado HD pocket video camera.

Here are my computer specs

Windows Vista Ultimate 32 Bit

Intel Core2 Quad q8200

ATI Radeon 4670 Graphics Card

Gigabyte Motherboard

4GB of 800 Mhz RAM

This is really frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

What codecs are used in your files?

Creative Vado is typical consumer stuff, which is best edited with consumer applications, since the major drawback of the 'camera' is that it is meant to watch, not edit. As they say on their site: "See it, shoot it, share it". Not edit it.

• 2. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
            dookmaster Level 1

Sorry I forgot to add that. The files are AVI just straight off of my

digital camera. I'm working on just some low quality footage for a web

project I am doing. I have been messing around with them and have been able

to get them to play if I use adobe encoder and convert them to h.264 DV. Why

would it work on my 3 year old laptop but not my brand new desktop? Is it

because I haven't yet downloaded the correct codecs for this new computer.

Is it best to encode them anyways?

Thanks for the help. I am a total newbie to this stuff.

-Keith

• 3. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Creative Vado HD

The files are AVI just straight off of my digital camera.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/stupid.gif

• 5. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Keith,

The file extension .AVI indicate a "wrapper." All sorts of stuff can be in that wrapper *. Some of that stuff will play/edit fine. Much will not and create issues, as you have seen. Your camera uses a CODEC to create those .AVI files. That CODEC is the issue. I recommend G-Spot to find out what the CODEC is. Some times it's just a matter of having the proper CODEC installed on the computer. Most of the time, it takes much more than that - hence Eddie's links on "conversion." At least G-Spot will get us all on the same playing field, and explicit help can follow - probably to study Eddie's links. My guess is that your camera uses some form of DivX CODEC, hence the problem that you see.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Think of .AVI like the foil wrapper on a stick of gum, when you remove the outer lable. You know it's gum, but not what flavor. Could be Juicyfruit, or Spearmint, or Double-mint. G-Spot will tell you the flavor. PrPro likes some flavors, but hates others.

• 6. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
                  dookmaster Level 1

Thanks Hunt that was a great explanation. I downloaded gspot. It looks like

the codec is MJPG. Gspot shows that I do have the codec installed. Does

premiere use a different set of codecs than my other media players on the

computer? One thing that I did find is that on Gspot under system-> List All

Codecs and Other Filters, there are some problems with files missing and

they are all in the adober premiere directory. These files are as follows

ad2dsh264.ax

ad2daac.ax

ad2mcdsmpeg.ax

ad2mcspmpeg.ax

ad2esh264.ax

ad2mcesmpeg.ax

ad2evh264.ax

ad2mcevmpeg.ax

ad2mceampeg.ax

ad2mcmuxmpeg.ax

ad2eaac.ax

Would these missing files be the problem? If so where can one find such

files?

If I have to encode them first it really isn't that much of a problem

because I will be using a DVC PRO for most of my shoots but I just had a

small project using these low quality files that I was working on.

Thanks for all of your help,

Keith

• 7. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Keith,

As for "broken" and "missing" CODEC's, also see this THREAD.

For MJPEG, the two that seem to be the best are the Morgan or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC. There was talk that the Morgan was not doing well in CS4, but others users have reported great results with it. I guess that my earlier info was bogus. There was also mention of a totally free MJPEG CODEC, that solved another user's problems with Nikon D-90 footage. I could not find the link to that article, but I'd suggest a search of all Adobe Premiere fora, including the Premiere Elements forum. You might also include "Nikon D-90" in your Search. Still, the MainConcept one works very well, and the latest reports are that the Morgan does too (contrary to earlier reports).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
                      dookmaster Level 1

Hunt,

Looks like MainConcept did the trick. Thanks so much for your help, I

greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Keith

• 9. Re: Problem Playing Video in Premiere Pro CS4
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great, and thanks for reporting back.

Good luck,

Hunt