5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 9:32 AM by Mylenium

Problem with Auto-trace function.

jeclarkiii

I have setup and seem to be successful in creating a new layer with an animated mask using the Layer->Auto-trace function.

However, it only seems to perform the creation of the animated mask, for a few seconds of time on the clip, rather than the 'whole' clip.

Is there some parameter that limits the trace function, and if so, how does one change that to be 'long'.

Or is there some reason why it is limited to a few seconds?

Thanks,

John.

• 1. Re: Problem with Auto-trace function.
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AutoTrace has the option to trace one frame, or to trace every frame within the current Work Area.

It sounds like your work area is only defined across a short time period on the timeline.  Expand the Work Area to expand the range that is AutoTraced.

• 2. Re: Problem with Auto-trace function.
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Andrew said - check the work area duration. Short of that I could only think of too many masks being generated, so at some point there is no room for adding even more, but with 9999 masks on a layer working with AE is probably no real fun anymore, anyway, so I'd investigate other options

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Problem with Auto-trace function.
              jeclarkiii Level 1

Thanks for the responses.

When I first set up the auto-trace, I did check the "work area" option, and the duration, was indicated at 55 or so seconds, the length

of the clip. After the first round, and short sequence of masks generated I brought the work area down to about 15 seconds. Still

the process stopped after a few seconds.

The number of generated masks in the first case was about 12, and the second case 5, with the first mask in each

layer having the longest duration.

As a note, I'm running on a Intel Mac OX 10.4, with 2 GB memory, and AE is the only app running, with an allocation

of upto 1.2 GB for AE in the preferences.

• 4. Re: Problem with Auto-trace function.
                jeclarkiii Level 1

In the interest in pressing on, I tried successive moving of my work area along the time line... what is interesting

is that in some cases the auto-trace function went for some number of seconds, before stopping. The end

result seems to be about five long segments, where the mask 1 in each new layer contains the longest

calculated trace of the mask.

I'll piece these together and check points of discontinuity...

I suspect some form of exhaustion of memory while calculating the trace, and rather than write intermediate results to a temp file..

the auto-trace just stops... and may be dependent on the amount of change in the respective traced frames...

Would like something more official than my guesses...

• 5. Re: Problem with Auto-trace function.
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

jeclarkiii wrote:

I suspect some form of exhaustion of memory while calculating the trace, and rather than write intermediate results to a temp file..

the auto-trace just stops... and may be dependent on the amount of change in the respective traced frames...

Quite possible, given the constraints of your system and the algorithm used. It should not hinge on the number of masks and their vertices, though. More likely it's AE's (or the Auto Trace feature's) general hungriness for memory. Edge detection kernels can considerably affect the buffer size that is required...

Mylenium