7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 6:39 PM by fuaho

Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro

vish92683

Hello,

I wanted to know if some knows what would be the best and quickest way to export a project from final cut in a format that will allow me to import that file in Premiere.  I know i can export the final cut project as a quciktime movie but that converting process takes FOREVER.  I was wondering if there is a way around quick time.

• 1. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Why? What is the sense to import a finished FCP project into PR?

• 2. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

Unfortunately the import Final Cut Pro projects feature is not working correctly. The 4.1 update (due the end of this month) will fix the problem.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
              vish92683 Level 1

I'm a multmedia student.  My semester will be ending this week, after which i will not have access to Final Cut.  I will not be able to make any changes to the project once my semester is over.  If i can some how export the project from final cut i can work on it at home in premeire.

• 4. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Eddie points out something that will likely help you, though maybe not in time.

First, I'd make a complete backup of your FCP Project onto an external HDD - do not know FCP, so cannot help you with exactly the best way to do this. Get everything and keep the folder structure the same.

Though it does take time, I'd also do the .MOV Export from FCP, as the ultimate backup and a possible failsafe, should the CS4 4.1 still not get it right. You might have to convert your .MOV file outside of either FCP, or PrPro, but you will have it.

Last, if you've been a good student (and I'd guess that you have been), I'll bet that your instructor would grant you access to the lab's Mac and FCP, especially since this was a project for this semester. Now, if you are moving away from university, that might throw a monkeywrench into things, but if your local to the shcool, talk to your professor now, and make arrangements. I used my film school's editing booth for a few years after graduation with the department's permission - sweet, since time on an 8-plate Moviola was expensive as heck way back then.

Good luck, and make sure to get everything and I do mean EVERYTHING on your external HDD.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
                  vish92683 Level 1

Thank you all for your helpful advices.

I was able to come to a solution.   I exported the FCP project by scenes which drastically sped up the rendering process for .mov file.  I did that for all the scenes and now i will be able to work on in it in PR.  I should've thought of breaking the FCP project down first.....not why that didn't cross mind.

Eddie, i was able get an extension on my project.  I guess sometimes, all you have to do is ask.

Thanks again,

Vish

• 6. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news and thanks for reporting.

Good luck with the Project,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Exporting Final Cut prjects for Premiere Pro
                      fuaho Level 1

While you have the opportunity, I'd also export an XML file. You'll have to be careful of transitions and audio fades, but you can make a copy of your FCP project and remove all of that so you have a "cuts only" for export.

It can be a little tricky if you have a complex file structure, but it's a "better than nothing" protection backup that can be imported into PrPro with some finessing.

HTH,