8 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 9:51 AM by Ed.Macke

Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?

rimbaudarthur

Hello,

I have a question to Premiere Elements 4 on Win XP Home, SP3.

I installed Premiere Elements 4, but it does not run. If I start PE4 the purple startup screen be displayed: Application will initialized, loading compiler,..  the startup screen disappears, that's it! No program will appear.

My native language is german, so I called the german support line. They told me that Premiere Elements 4 does not work on Win XP Home SP3 (?).

I can't believe, is there no way to to run Premiere Elements 4 on Win XP Home SP3???

If there's a possibility, please tell me what I have to do.

ps: I have Apple QuickTime and MS DirectX 9 installed. My PC is an Sony PCV-RS702 Desktop with 4GB Ram.

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

OF COURSE Premiere Elements works on XP SP3! That's the operating system it was designed on!

As for why your program won't launch, there are a couple of things to try:

1) Try uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Elements. Occasionally the installation goes wrong, and uninstalling and reinstalling fixes it.

2) Ensure that you have enough free, defragmented hard drive space. Your computer comes with 160 gigabytes of hard drive space -- that's relatively small for video production. But the program should be able to run, assuming you've got at least 30 gigaybtes free and you keep the hard drive defragmented. Over the years, hard drives can also become full of temp files and spyware, that's why I recommend this regular maintenance in the FAQs to the right of the program:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

3) Make sure you have the most recent version of Quicktime as well as all of the Windows updates. Apple updates Quicktime at least once a month, and it's very easy to have an outdated version.

This FAQ includes information on everything you should keep up to date for best performance.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416585?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
            rimbaudarthur Level 1
            OF COURSE Premiere Elements works on XP SP3! That's the operating system it was designed on!

The german Adobe support says NO, PE4 does not work with SP3. It's fine to read that it does.

1) Try uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Elements. Occasionally the installation goes wrong, and uninstalling and reinstalling fixes it.

I do already before I write this thread, I installed it three times. I'm Microsoft Certified Professional, so I hope I do nothing wrong with the installation.

2) Ensure that you have enough free, defragmented hard drive space. Your computer comes with 160 gigabytes of hard drive space -- that's relatively small for video production. But the program should be able to run, assuming you've got at least 30 gigaybtes free and you keep the hard drive defragmented. Over the years, hard drives can also become full of temp files and spyware, that's why I recommend this regular maintenance in the FAQs to the right of the program:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=0

I have 35 GB free space after installation. But for the small jobs I do it's normally no problem (!?). My hard drive is defragmented.

3) Make sure you have the most recent version of Quicktime as well as all of the Windows updates. Apple updates Quicktime at least once a month, and it's very easy to have an outdated version.

One month ago I format my harddrive and installed the OS new. The Updates of Windows are installed automatically by system.

I checked the QuickTime Update Function: QuickTime is up to date.

The hardware is not my problem, before I installed Win XP SP3 new, one month ago, Premiere Elements runs without problems. The only difference, that time with SP2. Maybe it is a SP3 problem, like the german Adobe Support tells?

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I assure you that SP3 is not a problem!

But you may want to go to Windows Update and manually install ALL of the updates. (Automatic updates only install critical updates. To install all of the updated drivers, etc., you need to click on the Custom button at Windows Update and install the optional updates.)

I am sorry you are having the problem. It sounds like you are doing everything right.

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I have 35 GB free space after installation. But for the small jobs I do it's normally no problem (!?). My hard drive is defragmented

This COULD well be a problem, if not THE problem. PE needs a lot more HDD space, than one would initially think. Do try to free up more space. Maybe move your Media Assets to another physical HDD.

Now, using PrPro as an example, it installed and ran on both XP-Home and XP-Pro with SP2, or above. I would *think* that PE would behave in a similar manner. However, there were some problems with the short-lived MCE (Media Center Edition), but do not recall what they were. Since MCE was basically a bunch of "add-ons," it could have been something like included CODEC's, or the TV tuner aspects, and nothing at the real OS-level.

Steve has a lot of great "trouble-shooting" tips in the FAQ's. I'd suggest following those to get your OS lean and mean. Even XP needed a bit of "optimizing" to get the best results, and almost any computer will benefit from these tips.

When you did your installs, I assume that you had turned off all anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spyware software. This is a must, before you install.

I would also look at the Applications tab in Event Viewer, to see if you can get any info on PE, when you attempt to launch it. Might yield a clure there. Also, are you running as an Administrator?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
                  rimbaudarthur Level 1
                  When you did your installs, I assume that you had turned off all anti-virus, pop-up blocking and spyware software. This is a must, before you install.

I don't know, that I can't do a installation with a running Firewall.

But that was really the problem. I use Panda AVPro. I've just turned it off, and the program could be started.

But I don't like to work online without a firewall and anti-virus. I just checked the Firewall-Configuration, but I can not find an entry of PE. Yet something is apparently blocked, - just what?
                  Okay, I can deactivate the Firewall when I use PE, but it is not an optimal solution I like.

Thanks for that ...
                  • 6. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ideally, when one is doing NLE work, their on-line presence should be to a bare minimum, mainly because of resources for the system. A hardware firewall is also a good alternative. A good router is worth its weight in gold for this, and the expense is minimal now.

Hunt

• 7. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
                      rimbaudarthur Level 1

What I have to tell my Firewall that PE  works?

I already allow Adobe Premiere Elements.exe In- and outgoing connections, but it does not work. I think, another program wants to talk outside of my local network, but which one?

Can someone help, please tell me which program needs which permission? I would like to configure my firewall for that, and I hope, it works with running firewall, the same like without.

Thanks
                      • 8. Re: Does Premiere Elements 4 works on Win XP Home SP3?
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

Just a thought... I know that firing up PE7 also fires up their DRM module. Unfortunately, I forgot the .exe name but you can see it using Task Manager (or, even better, Sysinternal's Process Explorer). If memory serves, it runs under the "System" or "winlogon" task... not sure.

I wonder if it's trying to go to the internet?

Doesn't sound likely, since I would expect that a DRM failure wouldn't result in the program simply shutting down with no explanation... wouldn't it give you some sort of licensing error?

Still, something to check...