3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 10:57 AM by jendehaan

CS4: move motion tween...

MarioMari Level 1

Hello all.

Does anyone can explain, why  on the timeline in CS4 I can move only those motion tween which have the same long? Yet, It's without sense.

Example:

I'm creating four layers

On every of them I'm crating motion tween which are in different length

I'm pressing Shift and selecting all layers by selection tool

Now, I want to take and move on the timeline...

As a result only one layer changed the place

Could  sb. explain me why?

At last I can see reasonable changes in animation buliding technic but why they are parting instate of equalising with the best of After Effects at once.

• 1. Re: CS4: move motion tween...
          jendehaan Level 4

Currently (and this is known), you can move a block of frames, but not spans of different lengths. For example, if all of your tween spans are the same length you can select them all and move them. If one span is 15 frames and the other is 10 frames, the last selected span will move.

You can move all of your frames if you "marquee select" a square of contiguous frames. Click and drag around all of the spans - this may/will include empty frames as well - then click and drag and all of your spans will move.

Hope this will work for you in the meantime.

• 2. Re: CS4: move motion tween...
            MarioMari Level 1

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I know but this method allow select motion tweens only near by. This is my real problem.

If you want to select only a few motion tweens but not adjacent to each other? What can I do in this situation?

P.S.

Such things as:

- selection and modification of a few at a time motion tweens

- selection and modification of several items at a time animation

- selection and change the length of a few at a time

- selecting and moving objects at once several and their paths of movement

- revert keyframe multi-frame motion at a time.

etc.etc...

Lack of proven techniques to build an animation in Flash when it is already invented in the AE...

When finally introduced Motion Tweens in Flash why this can not be done as well as in After Effects?

Again past few editions of Flash before it reaches the same conclusion as the AE.

Adobe has done after all the years developed a solution, why start with a new wheel?

I do not understand this logic... I think that this is a freak marketing.

• 3. Re: CS4: move motion tween...
              jendehaan Level 4

The way the spans are moved is currently working as the Timeline in Flash always has (with classic tweens, span based selection, etc), and isn't something we were able to change for this first release of the new motion model. You'll find that the new motion tweens work a lot like span-based selection in Flash, and this is one of those cases. Although we were able to take on some of After Effects' behaviors (in the motion editor), changing the way the fundamental Timeline in Flash is a tricky task, as it has been the way it has been for such a long time.  We are aware this particular behavior would be a useful/good change to the Timeline, so hopefully we will see this in the future.

So long story short, they need to be moved as a "chunk" using traditional Flash methods.

For the other questions:

- selection and modification of a few at a time motion tweens

This is possible for various editing purposes. It is certainly possible on the Stage for modifications such as transforms, etc. In the timeline many other operations are possible for spans next to other, or not. You can select multiple motions tweens and insert keyframes, insert frames, clear keyframes, remove them.

- selection and modification of several items at a time animation

I'm unsure about the difference from the previous bullet. Do you mind elaborating on what you'd like to be able to do?

- selection and change the length of a few at a time

This is possible through keyboard shortcut or right-click (F5 to insert frames for example with spans selected, or you can select the empty frames after the span and insert the frames). This is possible also for spans that are not next to each other/not the same length.  Stretching the end is the same as case as the select/move mentioned in the original post, and is presently not possible (we are aware of this timeline behavior and are working on it).

- selecting and moving objects at once several and their paths of movement

This is possible.  In the Motion Property inspector, choose "Always Show Motion Paths" from the options menu. Then you can Shift-select multiple motion paths on the Stage and move them.

Alternatively, if your tweens start at the same frame, you can put the playhead at the first frame of the spans, select all the instances and move them.

- revert keyframe multi-frame motion at a time.

Do you mean removing keyframes from multiple spans?  This is also possible, but you need to do the Clear Keyframe across contiguous frames at that position (Ctrl drag across frames vertically). We are aware it would be nice to Ctrl select non-sequential keyframes, this is something we're looking into.

- etc.etc...

Please let us know of any additional feature requests - we wan to cover as many workflows as possible, or help discover the ones already there!

- Lack of proven techniques to build an animation in Flash when it is already invented in the AE...

Again, anything you feel is not proven please let us know. Personally I feel that there are many techniques, many more things you can do than previous versions after building some very long complex animations with the new functionality - didn't feel limited at all. But then I'm biased, and have been using and testing new motion for a long time.

- When finally introduced Motion Tweens in Flash why this can not be done as well as in After Effects?

There are some considerations to make for Flash really (users and the UI in general) - we have to support the Flash timeline, which is a very old feature, and we also have to support a long history of Flash users who are used to the way the Timeline has always worked. Changing to an object-based timeline like After Effects (only one object per layer) would be a massive change to the fundamental way Flash works... that some users would love, and others might not. This isn't saying the Timeline will never change, just that swapping the Flash timeline with the AE one, especially all at once, could be risky. However, the Motion Editor uses After Effects functionality and offers some familiar functionality.

Another difference is we need to support and export to the Flash Player, and many of those great affects in AE do not have to. Exporting to video opens the door for a lot of great effects. There are some performance considerations and so forth that Flash needs to accomodate for/think about. 

- Again past few editions of Flash before it reaches the same conclusion as the AE. Adobe has done after all the years developed a solution, why start with a new wheel? I do not understand this logic... I think that this is a freak marketing.

The new motion, I feel at least, makes things easier for some users and offer additional functionality for animators - that's the goal. Many Flash users found it very hard to do any kind of animation, so we're working at making the fundamentals easier for those users (not breaking tweens so much, make motion guides way easier, etc). Plus, there are classic tweens for those who still need them or can't migrate right away. I've been able to do things with the new per-property tweening and easing that accomplishes something I could never ever do with classic tweens, and add these effects/animation almost instantly. So marketing or not, something new and very useful to me at least