9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2009 7:59 PM by ChairmanJS

.swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path

OWENS ARCHITECTS

This has always been a struggle trying to get .swf quality to the DVD and on web. I thought that when Adobe bought flash this will soon be a peace of cake. That has not been the case and I’m still trying to find the magic path. I have recently up graded from premiere 6 to premiere pro CS4 to get upgrade of Encore 2.0 and what I thought was the silver bullet .swf import possible to premiere I thought this will cut down on the number of compressions and give the .swf quality on the DVD and much better web based quality as FLV files. The current movie which is by the way a deadline pay the bills type project publish fine as a .swf and has great screen qualities. It is my understanding that the new mpeg codecs that come with this upgrade are the choice for best DVD quality and web production when I import the .swf the movie export works fine for a while then windowsexporter.exe stops working and the process quits. So I guess maybe vista windows thing on my laptop so I up grade on my XP desktop and the program will not run at all and keeps crashing. So I find out file is probably to big to process so I split it down into smaller portion in flash and try to import the new smaller files and get error message file screen size to big when it is set to 720x480. I try sending directly to encore as suggested and get encode stopped unknown error. I can get an windows projector .exe file to process thank goodness that is keeping client happy for now but need to go on line and to dvd soon with much better quality than I get when I can get the movie to process in AVI which is really bad quality and not acceptable to deliver. Thanks in advance for any help deadline May 12 DVD in clients hands so this is chrunch time I need a fix or work around.

• 1. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Wish that I could help you, but do not use SWF for DVD output.

However, you might want to also post to: Adobe Encore Forum. There are a lot of folk there, who really know Encore, and might be able to offer some suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
            Curt Wrigley Level 4

I am having trouble understanding your workflow, what your sources are and what you are trying to deliver.

Where is the swf comign from?  SWF isnt a video format; its really a skin or container for playing flv's or vector animations.

If you can better describe what youare attempting it would be helpful.  And; please discover paragraphs so we can read easier.

• 3. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
              OWENS ARCHITECTS Level 1

I have a flash CS3 movie and the quality in that .swf file and the projector file are great but I need to have this content on DVD and as Web based movie.

The export to movie in flash to either avi or mov file from flash does  not even come close to quality that you have when viewing in .swf which is  published with no problems from flash. The avi uncompressed file is over 4 gig not usable. All of the other codecs of mpeg stop working unknown error.

So when I import flash .swf  into premiere pro CS4 and then try to export to  any of the mpeg file types which are suggested the best for dvd and the web the windowsexpoerterexe stops working and the exports stops.

In premiere I try the send direct to encore cs4 and encode stops unknown error

How do I get the quality I see in the .swf and the windows projector.exe onto a dvd

You can see what I have been able to post so far on line but the quality is just not acceptable http://owensarchitects.com/cherokeeoverview.htm

and the DVD version I have been able to produce is even worse so what I missing

Thanks for your time

• 4. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
                Jim_Simon Level 8

So when I import flash .swf  into premiere pro CS4

Eesh, no wonder the difficulty.

The avi uncompressed file is over 4 gig not usable.

Why not usable?  This is the best method.

• 5. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
                  OWENS ARCHITECTS Level 1

The 4 gig file will not import into anything premiere or encore and the compressed avi quality not there

• 6. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Does it import into Word? If not, Word may not be the right application. Same may apply to PR.

• 7. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

OWENS ARCHITECTS wrote:

I have a flash CS3 movie and the quality in that .swf file and the projector file are great but I need to have this content on DVD and as Web based movie.

So, you are creating the content in Flash CS3 and want to publish the flash animation onto DVD.  OK so far.

The export to movie in flash to either avi or mov file from flash does  not even come close to quality that you have when viewing in .swf which is  published with no problems from flash. The avi uncompressed file is over 4 gig not usable. All of the other codecs of mpeg stop working unknown error.

Head over to the flash forum and ask why flash cannot export correctly to a movie format.  That is what you need to do.  I suspect it someting as simple as a field order for interlace setting.

So when I import flash .swf  into premiere pro CS4 and then try to export to  any of the mpeg file types which are suggested the best for dvd and the web the windowsexpoerterexe stops working and the exports stops.

No surprise.  SWF is not a movie format.  It cannot be edited in Pr

How do I get the quality I see in the .swf and the windows projector.exe onto a dvd

Find out from the flash forum how to properly export an animation from flash to a movie format destined for dvd.  Then you can either load that directly into Encore, or if it needs editing; edit it first in Pr.

Question: What is the resolution of the flash project?   I suspect this is your problem if you have a high res flash project with text that you are squeezing to 720 x 480 dvd.

• 8. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Now we're getting somewhere. You say that the 4GB .AVI is "umcompressed." Are you certain? Just for a test, run it through G-Spot to see if it's uncompressed, or not. Please let us know.

Even if it is uncompressed AVI, that file *should* Import just fine into Premiere. From there, you can Export as one of several formats, or use the DL between PrPro and Encore to author it to DVD. If the file is really uncompressed, should you Export it most other formats, from DV-AVI Type II, to almost anything, it will be smaller. From Encore, it will be Transcoded to MPEG-2 for use on the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: .swf file quality on DVD and web what is the magic path
                          ChairmanJS

i m also confused.

but do you mean you want to copy the swf to dvd with good quality?

if it is, unfortunately you can not do that directly ,

and if the swf file is a source file you can use cs3 to convert swf to mpeg format which is compatible with dvd, then use a dvd creater freeware to burn to dvd. or if the swf file is not the source file you should use a conversion tool for that, the one i use maybe you can try swf to mpeg. good luck!