3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 2:31 PM by ~graffiti

Bloatware

jakremer

Anyone else noticing the progression of bloatedness of Adobe Reader (and, well...really most of Adobe software)?  I miss the good ol' days when Reader didn't take a full minute to load...the days when I wasn't nagged to download some update at least once a week...the days when I could get into Reader and print a document in minimal time.

I'm sitting here at work reflecting on all this while being tasked to print 15 PDFs.  Of course, there is no (easy) way to batch print them and each file is taking a full minute to load, then about 5 minutes to bring up the print window after clicking print, then another 5 minutes to actually start printing.  While this computer is not a speed demon by any means, I have similar delays when using my home PC which is a Core 2 Quad with 4 GB of RAM and RAID 0 drive configuration.  As I mentioned, I see Flash following down the same road; most computers that I use freeze from 2-60 seconds when opening a page with Flash.  At least the Flash updates haven't been so annoyingly constant, as with Reader.

If it weren't for the huge number of vulnerabilities that have been identified with earlier versions of Reader, I would just go back a few versions.  Unfortunately, all I can do is rant.

• 1. Re: Bloatware
          TLC-IT Level 2

Well, Adobe "swallowed the Java juice" some time ago, which makes their products considerably slower than other rendering tools which also accept the PDF format.  But I have also observed that Reader is quite susceptible to slowdowns caused by the "anti-virus" software that so many shops are so fond of.  If your shop has the usual paranoid "scan everything that moves" settings, Adobe operations (including installs) can be made dozens of times slower than they otherwise should be.

Adobe's biggest fault in my mind is that they "swallowed the digital rights management juice" too.  The result is a seriously hobbled horse.  I imagine that there are so many paths through their software these days that reliability testing is all but impossible.  We have pulled back from a very promising application for PDF forms on an internal web-site, not because Adobe Reader couldn't do the job, but because its various DRM features cause it to intermittently choose not to.  We can't deploy an application solution to hundreds of sites without 100% reliability ... and Acrobat effectively chooses not to deliver what we need because its DRM features are not perfectly reliable.  So, back to HTML forms we go, probably never to return.

• 2. Re: Bloatware
            revolruf

I manage the print dept. for a successful printing company in the Pacific NW. We use both Adobe and Corel for our graphics. We are in the process of converting entirely over to Corel and dumping Adobe products all together. Our customers are converting there files to usable formats for us and some are now even sending files to us in Corel. Adobe will self destruct eventually. They think they are invinsible but my business sees otherwise. Keep searching out the new, small footpriint, fast and clean software. There's some nice stuff out there now. Here's to the end of BLOATWARE!

• 3. Re: Bloatware
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

revolruf wrote:

I manage the print dept. for a successful printing company in the Pacific NW.

If you want to continue to be successful, you won't want to start dictating what your customers use.

I could potentially be one of those customers (from the PacNW myself) and as soon as you told me that I had to use Corel (or any other application not of my choice), I'd be off to another succesful printing company giving them my 100K+ per year printing budget.

I agree, it may be bloatware on your end but it is perfectly fine on my end (as a producer).