4 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 2:42 PM by pixlor

My transparent Logo looks good on my local PC but not on my site

Torch C

Hello,

I am using Firework MX 2004.  I am not a web person.  I created a logo with a transparent background for our site.  It looked great on my localhost ( Vista PC).  When I move it to a test server or my public server it looks terrible.  I have tried the differeent transparencies and also made the background a color and then used the matte button in the export wizard to maket that go away.

It looked equally as bad if I used a gif or a png file.

test site is www.pondviewtech.com  I attached the png file as well.

Any hints or pointing in the correct direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry C

• 1. Re: My transparent Logo looks good on my local PC but not on my site
          pixlor Level 4

By "bad" I take it you mean the jagged edge along the text? If so, then that is because you removed the anti-aliasing. In order for the italic serif text to look smooth at a small font size, the shapes must be smoothed against the background, and even then, it's tricky, because of the details. When you remove the smothing, you're left wtih an approximation of the shape that has a rough outline. To produce a transparent logo to go against the background image you have, anti-alias it against the primary background color and then set that color transparent on export. Any halo around the letters that overlaps the clouds won't be very noticable. Try something like #E8EFF9 and I think you'll be happier.

That's probably the answer to your question. Feel free to stop reading right here.

In looking at your logo, as well as the purpose of the site, I'm struck by a softness in the design that I don't think is the best choice for your business. The color scheme is a combination of greys and soft blues that tend to the lavender. Your business is in financial regulation compliance. Especially now, your site should radiate strength and confidence.

To provide more impact and to give you a better anti-aliasing, I think you should choose a different font. The thin serif font doesn't give you much impact. Also, by combining the blue and grey for your full company name, but putting your tag line in blue, you draw more attention to the tagline. The more visual weight an object has on the page, the more important it is perceived to be. So...I would suggest something more like this, with the company initials and name in Arial Black (96 and 25 pt) and the tag line in bold Arial (18 pt):

acs.gif

I think the heirarchy for your company acronym, full name, then tag line is more clear. (It's a transparent .gif, anti-aliased against #E8EFF9, and is the same size as your logo so you can pop it into your design and see what you think.)

Other comments...

• You have three types of lines, you have a black horizontal line, a grey vertical line, and a dotted line at the bottom. A single line type and a single color in the main body would make the design look more unified.
          • Your background image is huge! Slice the gradient and use that for your body background, then put in a div for the skyline image.
          • The Wall St image looks at odds with all the other rectangular elements, which have rounded corners. Since you don't need a soft look, you might consider forgoing the rounded corners entirely.
          • The "SEC Registration Fast Track" and "Request a Demo" buttons need some work. The color is definitely purplish on my monitor (I have a good one) and the text should be anti-aliased.
          • 2. Re: My transparent Logo looks good on my local PC but not on my site
            Torch C Level 1

Thank you very much for the feedback.  I did not create or design the site.  I am just the guy who has to clean it up.  It is bad when you want to make sure people know that.

That being said I will take all of your suggestions and see if I can incorporate them into our site.  I am not a web guy so some of the things seem a little confusing but I will try.

You and the folks on the Dreamweaver forum have been very, very helpful.

I will go at this stuff later tonight and tomorrow.

Again, Thank you very much.

• 3. Re: My transparent Logo looks good on my local PC but not on my site
              Panos Zygopoulos Level 3

Your logo here  --->  http://www.pondviewtech.com and at the rest of the site as well, is resized,compared to the file that you attach. So thats the most possible reason it lost it's quality. I don't know though why you would get a different result on your pc and the web. Maybe you changed some files and forgot?

• 4. Re: My transparent Logo looks good on my local PC but not on my site
                pixlor Level 4

I did not create or design the site.  I am just the guy who has to clean it up.

Been there!

And Zygopoulos Panagiotis is absolutely right! I didn't notice that! In your Web page, the image is referenced like this:

img src="ACSlogoSFRW2.png" alt="" border="0" width="375" height="80"

but it is 450 wide x115 tall. That will definitely make a difference.