3 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 4:19 PM by BigJohnD

I just want to type

slickros

I self publish books and I bought pagemaker 7.0 to save me money by putting my own book together (pdf) instead of paying my publisher.  Well,  I'm a great poet but I suck with computers.  Can someone please tell me how to type as if this is my microsoft word.  Back to the basics, page one, etc....

I figured out the story editor, and type a couple of sentences; however, when I go back to the layout all I see is page one, where is page two and three.

Should I just type everything in the layout format or story editor.  Please help Rosalind

• 1. Re: I just want to type
          Jay Chevako Level 3

If you want to save money you are going to have to invest the time in learning how to run the program. It would be a lot better to start with Indesign as pagemaker is a dead end product, if you can return or exchange the product I would do so.

Pagemaker is not word, I would recommend reading the manual for a start to familiarize yourself with some of the basic concepts.

As for the pages they are displayed in the lower left hand corner L&R for the left and righ master pages and then the regular pages, If you only see 1 then you only have one page and will need to insert more.

Go to layout/insert pages insert more pages, then select the text with the arrow tool if you see a small arrow, click on it then go to the next page and click again to release the text, repeat as needed. There is a lot more to it than this and you will need to read the manual for more of the basics.

Jay

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I just want to type
            slickros Level 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  It worked, well of course it did.  To late to scrap this project, so I'm moving full speed ahead.  If I get stuck you will hear from me again.  Rosalind

• 3. Re: I just want to type
              BigJohnD Level 3

slickros wrote:

I self publish books and I bought pagemaker 7.0 to save me money by putting my own book together (pdf) instead of paying my publisher.  Well,  I'm a great poet but I suck with computers.  Can someone please tell me how to type as if this is my microsoft word.  Back to the basics, page one, etc....

I figured out the story editor, and type a couple of sentences; however, when I go back to the layout all I see is page one, where is page two and three.

Should I just type everything in the layout format or story editor.  Please help Rosalind

If you just want to type, stick with Word.  It's the modern day version of a typrewriter.

If you want convert them to PDFs, buy Acrobat.

If you want to create publications, get PageMaker - or better still, InDesign.  DTP is not typing, but pagelayout - an application for designing pages with text blocks and images.

Here's a link to a PageMaker Tutorial.  Getting Started with PageMaker 6.5 It shows PM6.5, but PM7 is all but identical.  Once you grasp the principles, PM's not difficult.

Iechyd da! John
              00:16 05/05/2009