14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 5:28 PM by gcutuly

Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0

WalterSeaton Level 1

Is there any way, after having split a clip and renamed the portions, to place them in the Organizer or in the Editor Project List as separate "new" media items which I can copy, insert elsewhere in the Sceneline or even another movie altogether?

Many thanks.

Walter

• 1. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
          Paul_LS Level 4

If you open the video in the Clip Monitor by double clicking on it in the project media bin you can set In and Out points and then drag the selected portion of the clip from the Clip Monitor back to the media bin. When you do this it will ask you to name the sub-clip. You can do this multiple times to select different parts of the video, afterwards these sub-clips will be sat in the media bin with the names you gave them.

• 2. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
            WalterSeaton Level 1

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for this advice.

Regards,

Walter

• 3. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
              Rambutani Level 1

Paul, I've been trying to follow your instructions, but I am not getting the expected result.

I am able to open a clip in the clip monitor and set in and out points. But I don't understand how to drag the selected portion of the clip back the media bin.

• 4. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                Paul_LS Level 4

Once you have set the in and out points simply "left click and hold" on the video in the preview monitor and then drag to the project media bin.

• 5. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                  gcutuly

THANK YOU...Paul.   I have been tryong for quite a while to get a succint answer to this question and you have provided it.  I got several answers from several sources BUT they all left the original intact while not doing what I realy wanted to do and that was to split a huge video containing a lot of junk into a few good video clips.  Thanks again.

Gene

• 6. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                    Paul_LS Level 4

Note you can not delete the original clip... these sub-clips are "virtual" clips in that there are just pointers to the relevant section in the orignal clip.

• 7. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                      gcutuly Level 1

Hi Paul....so I found out after posting that message.  So, it seems to me

that there is no way using Premier Elements 7 of getting rid of my huge (1GB

+) -.VOB files files from which I want to only save only small--but precious

portions.  I have these files because I converted from VHS to VCD and it was

not practical to watch every single scene.  Am I correct in this?  I just

presumed that this would be a common desire of many users and Adobe would

have provided for it in their highly acclaimed video editing software.  Your

response was the closest I could locate.

I guess I'll go searching for some software to cut up these huge files?  Any

suggestions.

Thank you so much for your personal response and the aid you give at the

Adobe site.

Regards,

Gene

• 8. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I believe Scenalyzer will divide up your files, based on content.

• 9. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                          gcutuly Level 1

Hey!  I have your Muvipix Guide to Premier 7 book.  As a new user, I was

looking for a How To approach.  But, after I got a little more familiar with

Premier, I found myself going back to your book to get some quick answers.

For instance, the tip about resizing photos before using them in Premier

must have saved me countless hours trying to determine why I could not burn

a DVD with my original photos.

So, given your response, I guess it is true Premier Elements 7 cannot serve

to split up a long clip into separate clips for later use.  Agreed?

Thanks so much.

Gene

• 10. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad my book was helpful, Gene!

Premiere Elements can split a large clip, based on content -- but it doesn't truly break the clip into smaller video files. What it does is split the clip into smaller clips and put them in a folder in your Project media panel. But the video file itself isn't really split up. Does that make sense?

To get to this feature, just right-click on the clip in the Project media panel and select the option. Though I don't think this is what you're looking for, is it?

But I believe Scenalyzer actually divides your file into smaller files.

• 11. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                              Paul_LS Level 4

Otherwise do it manually... place the work area bar (WAB) over the section you want then go File>Export>Movie, then in Settings>General>Range select to export "Work Area Bar" NOT the "Entire Timeline". This way the section will be exported as a seperate clip... afterwards you can delete the "master" clip.

• 12. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                                WalterSeaton Level 1

I think I may have something to contribute for a change. Here is what I do, though it is a little tedious.

1. Save the whole clip to a new folder.

2. Open that folder in PE 7.0

3. Open the clip monitor and run the whole clip through it. For each section to be selected to be used later, set in and out points and drag the selected section back to the media bin, naming it as required.

4. Save

5. Save the project to an new folder.

6. Open the new folder, delete the complete timeline amd insert the selected sections in the order required.

7. Now fine tune the rough cut.

• 13. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                                  gcutuly Level 1

Steve....It is hard to believe that PE7 does not allow you to break up a

file into smaller ones occupying only their own space.  So now I can see why

you say that MiniDV is still the gold standard in that PE7 allows you to

import only what you want.  Otherwise, you are stuck with uploading the

whole video clip-and keeping it forever that, I imagine, for most of us

is a bunch of junk hogging up hard disk space.

The problem is that most outlets are discontinuing the stocking of MiniDV

units.  Costco does not and Best Buy has recently quit.

Thanks for the Secealyzer tip.  Looks like it might work.  I'll try it ASAP.

Thanks again.

Gene

• 14. Re: Using Split Clips in Premiere Elements 7.0
                                    gcutuly Level 1

I'll try it thanks much.  Very interesting approach.

Gene