11 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2009 3:56 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes

GPA1000

I am on Avid and looking to switch to Adobe.  I download the trail and all my System requirements are good.  I captureed some video and that works fine.  So now when I go to play it, I hear audio but see no video.  Then a second later it cashes. I can fine the clip on the hard drive and it plays fine in windows media player.  Any one go some ideas?  My guess it is a codec.

Thanks Greg  

• 2. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Greg,

Did you do your Capture in PrPro? Out of curiosity, which camera was used?

With material that you did Capture in PrPro, you should not have these issues. They sound suspciously like DivX footage, which PrPro does not Capture to, and has major problems with.

If you did Capture to PrPro, it sounds like another issue with the system, as PrPro loves the material that it does Capture.

Also, take a look at your event viewer and see if there is either some message in the Applications area, or in System, that might prove useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
            GPA1000 Level 1

I use a Sony DSR-11 deck, it was shoot on a XL2, Yes I did use the Capture tool in PrPro.  For the event viewer, are you taking about the one in Windows in the drop down menu, because there nothing there.  Where would I go to find out if I have the right codex?

Thanks Greg

• 4. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, thanks for listing the equipment. Maybe it will trigger with someone and get you help.

On Event Viewer, I do mean the Windows one. In XP-Pro, it's C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.exe (had to look, as I always have it on the Desktop of each machine at setup). If the program is crashing, without even a warning, then something is really messed up, as PrPro is being killed, before any error message can be generated. Check your System tab, and see if anything appears there, about the time of one of these crashes. You should at least have some sort of yellow tag, if not a red one, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                Where would I go to find out if I have the right codex?

See: Codec

Cheers
                Eddie

• 6. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

The XL2 and the DSR-11 are both DV. Are your sequence settings set to NTSC/PAL standard 4:3 DV presets with 48 KHz audio (assuming you have shot with 48 KHz audio on the XL2)? What happens when you capture directly from the XL2, same problem? Remember that on the back of the DSR-11 there is a switch to set either NTSC or PAL. Make sure that setting is correct for the material you shot. If all this is correct and it still does not work, try with Scenalyzer and see if that improves things.

The easiest way to access the event viewer is by right clicking on My Computer, select Manage and then scroll down to Events. Look under System events and Application events.

• 7. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Thanks for the path to Event Viewer. I have long since forgotten that. With each OS's setup, since it was introduced (NT2?), I've always gone to the folder and set a Shortcut on my Desktop on the very first day. Same for Windows Explorer, NotePad, WordPad, Calculator and Control Panel.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                      ThornieG

I had a similar problem. I encoded a VOB file to Mpeg 2 and then to AVI. Won't go into the details but the resulting file played perfectly in all my players but when I imported it into Premiere Pro I got audio but the video did not display in either the source or program monitors. The only time I could see a frame was when I dragged with the CTI. Obviously a codec problem and impossible to edit.

I overcame the problem by importing the DV AVI file into Windows Movie Maker and exporting it as a DV-AVI. Windows Movie Maker had no problem with the file and the final product could be imported and edited in Premiere Pro CS4 without a hitch. Maybe this simple workaround can work for you.

• 9. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In your specific case, I'd wager that the .AVI that you converted to was not DV-AVI Type II, but some other CODEC in an .AVI wrapper. As has been stated elsewhere, "AVI" tells one practically nothing about what is inside that file. The exact same can be said for .MOV or .WMV. Only with a program, lke G-Spot, or MediaInfo, or the Properties panel in QT, or WMP, can you know for sure.

Your Import into WMM did a conversion for you, and then WMM Exported to DV-AVI Type I. Once ingested by PrPro, this/these file(s) was converted to DV-AVI Type II. Note that sometimes, PrPro does exhibit issues with Type I DV-AVI's (usually manifested as OOS issues), but often do work perfectly well.

If one cannot go to the source footage, prior to the production of the DVD, the bettert workflow would be to do a capture of the DVD material TO DV-AVI Type II. It will have undergone one MPEG-2 conversion, and will then do another, if Burned to another DVD, but that can still be acceptable.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                          ThornieG Level 1

Thank you for the valuable suggestion on workflow. As to your wager, however, you would lose as I did use GSpot (What a great little tool!) to identify the codec as DV Type 2 AVI.  I have attached the GSpot information for your info.This is the information on the file that played in Premiere Pro CS4 and the video image could not be seen in the monitor.GSpot Info.jpg

• 11. Re: Audio only, no video in sorce window, then it crashes
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thomas, looks like I loose. The only problem that I have seen with the occasional DV-AVI Type II is a Duration truncation. Do not know what is wrong with those files, but when I encounter it, I do pretty much what you did, except that I use PE4 and then Export as a DV-AVI Type II.Y es, that is what I had, but now it works with the proper Duration. Have not observed what you describe, but will keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for reporting, and good luck. Maybe one day, we'll find exactly why a very few DV-AVI Type II's do not perform as they should.

Hunt