Expand my Community achievements bar.

Conversion from Output Designer IFD to LC ES Designer Fails

Level 1

Hi,

Product: LC ES 8.2 turnkey JBoss/MySQL

Product: Output Desinger 5.5 (5.5.1.280)

My customer is trying to convert Output Designer IFD Jetforms to LiveCycle ES and getting some strange errors.  Ultimately, the process fails which is annoying.

Using File > Open in LC ES Designer 8.2 (turnkey JBoss/MySQL trial install) my customer selects the IFD file to convert and promptly receives several error dialogs (paraphrased here):

1. Error #5907 - No printers found; In fact there are quite a few printers defined on this customers Windows XP system, the just happen to be network printers.  We attempted to define a raw file printer as default, but it didn't change the outcome or the appearance of this error.

2. Error #5903 - You must select a printer before saving; I assume this is a response error to Error #5907

3. Error #1084 - Unable to open configuration file ...\convertIFD\config\pdf.icf

4. Conversion Error: 50463490

Running: ....\ConvertIFDShell.exe

Input: \

Output: \

Options: [a bunch of options here]

IS there any other information I can collect to support this investigation and are there any known incompatibilities between LC 8.2 and OD 5.5 ?

Regards,

Jason Hendry.

Message was edited by: jhendry Similar to http://forums.adobe.com/message/1370697

5 Replies

Former Community Member

I assume that the IFD was created on a different machine. The IFD is created/compiled for a specific printer. Is it possible that the printer named in the IFD is not present on the new machine? The import process will call the Output Designer (version 5.5 or 5.6) to convert the IFD to an FDF format then will import that FDF into XDP. If the named printer is not found it will try to use its default printer (defined in Output Designer). If there is none then that coudl be where you are getting the error.

Make sense? If this persist maybe you coudl post the file and we can try it here.

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply.

I suspected as much since the full text of the conversion errors indicates printers associated with the original document were missing.  However, here's an interesting twist in the tale...

Taking an example form from my customer, on my local setup of LC ES 8.2 and Output Desinger 5.6, I can convert the document successfully.

Additionally, I can open and save the document in Output Designer 5.6 (which asks me to change the printer definition to "PDF").  When I give the document to my customer, he is still unable to convert the 5.6 IFD using LC ES Designer 8.2 (and Output Designer 5.5).

Seems like a fundamental problem between LC Designer 8.2 and Output Designer 5.5.  The attached is indicative of the forms that exhibit this problem.

Jason Hendry.

Message was edited by: jhendry
Remove the .text extension - IFD file types are not allowed :-(

Former Community Member

Just tried it here ...no problem. We set the default printer in Output Designer to PDF.

Here is the result.

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Yes, again the conversion works inhouse but fails at the customer site.  I can only conclude that the error is a fault with installation that will be rectified with re-installation.

Many thanks for your time and attention.

Regards,

Jason.

Level 1

reinstall Adobe Output Designer - then install LiveCycle - LiveCycle likely cannot find Adobe Output Designer - this resolved issue for our customer.   C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Output Designer 5.7