4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 9:52 AM by ptelian

Lens flare on transparent video

ptelian Level 1

In Premiere's help I see that this is supposed to work. It's not working for me. What's the trick?

• 1. Re: Lens flare on transparent video
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Yea it doesnt do anything.  I dont know if it is a bug or working as designed (since the flare needs contrast)

But I suspect there are other ways to do what you want.  What are you trying to do, apply a flare to multiple layers?  If so:

1. Razer the section of the timeline you want to flare
          2. select all the layers
          3. Right click on the selected section of layers and choose "Nest"
          4. All those layers are now one neat collasped clip
          5. Apply lens flare to the nested clip

Note; your exapnded layers are not lost when you do this; they will be a seq in your project bin which can re-exapnd and edit if you want.

• 2. Re: Lens flare on transparent video
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's another option:

1. Download the free Knoll Unmult plugin right here; install into C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore (Windows) or similar for Mac (not sure exactly what it is).
            2. In your project, create a black video synthetic clip and add it to your timeline above the clips where you want the flare to appear.
            3. Add the lens flare effect to the black clip; tweak and animate as needed. You'll have a lens flare on black, of course.
            4. Add the Unmult effect just after the lens flare. Immediately, the black background will be knocked out (UNMULTiplied) and the flare will be superimposed on the underlying clips.

Cat. Skinned.

• 3. Re: Lens flare on transparent video
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Thanks for that. I thought I knew a lot of the Red Giant products, but this is a new one. Sounds great and appreciate the steps listed. Got it, gonna' try it.

Now, what do I do with a skinless cat?

Hunt

• 4. Re: Lens flare on transparent video
                ptelian Level 1

Thanks for the response.

The nesting is one way to do it. I knew about it...but thanks anyway!

Thanks for the plugin link...maybe I'll give it a try.