4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 1:04 PM by Paul_LS

Best workflow to get good DVD from edited HDV

mark$ Level 1

I have created a beautiful Blu-ray disc using the follwing workflow:

1. HDV tape

2. PE4 to edit.

3. PE4 output HD 1080i 30 creating mts files

3. Unwrap mts files to MPEG2 files with MPEG streamclip

4. Author and burn a Blu-ray disk using a group of these files using TMPGEnc AuthoringWorks 4

Results are great.

Now I need a workflow for DVD's. Simply having PE4 output to NTSC DVD Widescreen instead of HD 1080i, yields very poor results. I have read there are interlace issues and PE is not good at down conversion.

Is there some other path using PE4 or some other software operating on the output of PE4 (for example the HD 1080i MPEG2 files)?

• 1. Re: Best workflow to get good DVD from edited HDV
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The BEST results will come if you downsample the video from your camcorder (using DV Lock) so that your captured video is standard DV.

But, if you're working with already edited HDV video, you can try outputting from your HDV project as standard 720x480 DV-AVI and then importing that into a DV project and create your DVD from there. But you're essentially just using footage downsampled by Premiere Elements -- something it doesn't do as well as your camcorder in any event.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best workflow to get good DVD from edited HDV
            Paul_LS Level 4

TMPGEnc 4 the editor/converter does a good job of downconverting HDV to standard definition. Can your Authoring Works 4 downconvert or maybe can it use HDV MPEG2 as a source file for burning standard DVDs?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Best workflow to get good DVD from edited HDV
              mark$ Level 1

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try them tonight. Yes, it is not practical to me to go back to the tape after all the editing I have done. One related question. I am considering upgrading to Adobe CS4 or Sony Vegas Pro. If I had access to one of these software packages would the answer be different?

• 4. Re: Best workflow to get good DVD from edited HDV
                Paul_LS Level 4

Well from comments from over on Muvipix it would appear PE7 does a better job of exporting to standard definition DVD. A few folks have done comparisions and concluded that with PE7 the quality of burning a standard DVD from a high definition timeline is the same as using the downconvert in camera that Steve recommeded.

Also CS4 is reportly better at down converting to standard definition compared to earlier versions. I use Vegas Pro and get good results, although I dont do many down conversions as I mainly use a high definition workflow from import to export/burning.