7 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 10:21 PM by Jim_Simon

Exporting Woes!

MrSumOne

Hey everyone,

I'm a little new to Premiere, so I need a little help with this problem, and figure the answer should be pretty easy.

So we have this poor quality camera, but the footage we shot with it, when I look at it in Windows Media Player, it looks fine, in my timeline after editing it, it looks fine, but when I export it to ANY format, high or low quality, the video stutters, or is choppy. What am I doing wrong here? I've tried so many settings! Eventually I figure the video is going up on Youtube, so I tried that setting under H.264. It was choppy, so I tried a high quality AVI video, same thing! I've searching everywhere for an answer, and at first I thought that it was because I hadn't rendered the work area, but that didn't do anything.

Can anyone give me some advice here please?

• 1. Re: Exporting Woes!
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Need some more information: what type of camera is it, what format does it use, your project and export settings.

• 2. Re: Exporting Woes!
            Harm Millaard Level 7

General rule:

Use sequence settings that reflect what you shot in terms of resolution and framerate.

On exporting do not change field preference or interlaced to progressive. Use Dan Isaacs method for that.

SD is lower field first, HDV is upper field first.

If you can't figure out what you did wrong, tell us in a detailed way what was ingested, what sequence settings you use and precisely what you did on export, with all the settings.

• 3. Re: Exporting Woes!
              MrSumOne Level 1

See? I told you I was a newbie! But thanks a lot for helping out! Here's soem information you asked about:

The camera is a SC-X210L, and all the videos it records are in AVI format in 720 x 480

My progect format was regular DV NTSC Standard 48kHz

I have no idea what my frame rate is, is there a way to find that out?

And I've tried many, MANY different export settings, soooo... If someone could direct me to which one I should be using, or what setting I have to change to get rid of this skipping, it would be great. I would really like to convert it right to a Youtube video

Thanks for any help in advance!

• 4. Re: Exporting Woes!
                Harm Millaard Level 7

First check the camera's manual for its recording format. Then adjust your sequence settings to reflect that. Next, after capture, use GSpot to check the codec used. Adjust your sequence settings accordingly. Then decide on what format you want to deliver by what media. If you tell us all the relevant info, we may be able to suggest a way to export accordingly.

• 5. Re: Exporting Woes!
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, the trouble here is that your avi's are mpeg4. Premiere is not very fond of mpeg4.

Run your footage through Gspot that will tell you the framerate and setup a matching sequence.

You say you are able to edit so you might get lucky in exporting the footage better when you get the framerate right.

• 6. Re: Exporting Woes!
                    MrSumOne Level 1

It's almost entirely perfect now! Thanks a lot! Still, there's a tiny bit of skipping here and there, but that could also be because of the poor quality camera we used. When I tried to convert it in the Youtube format, setting the sound and video framerate properly, it worked in small chucks, but when I coverted the whole 4 min video it was choppy again. I changed it to WMV format, 29.97 fps, 44.1 sound, and I changed it so that it used the Windows Media 9 codec, 2 video encoding passes, only 1 audio, cause I don't really care about the audio, and it came out great!

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure which of these changes actually made the difference, anyone know?

Thanks a lot everyone, I didn't know I had to match recorded video to encoder settings, duh!!!

• 7. Re: Exporting Woes!
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

You may want to check out VideoSpin.  It's a free program, but MP4 support will cost you about $15.

"Avid Technology Inc. today unveiled VideoSpin® 2.0 – an ideal solution for consumers with no video editing experience who want to quickly and effortlessly share their entertaining videos on the Web."