4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2009 8:33 AM by hkpadobe

Flex Application question?

hkpadobe

I have created an application in Flex built with many components etc.. My application is basically a questionnaire with many pages, and after completion the answers are graphically shown via a Bubble Chart.

I will be integrating my application into a 3rd Party software which is a Presentation Player (which accepts .SWF files and utilizes the ExternalInterface Class). The way I want my Flex application to work on the Player is firstly when the player is run, my application will run asking all the specific questions. Once the user has answered all the questions they will have a confirm button on the final Page which will take them to the Bubble Chart on another part of the Presentation Player for recording the results.

My question is as my Application has both the questionnaire pages and the Bubble Chart all encapsulated into one application, is there a way for me to split my application so as to use the questions and Bubble chart separately as required by my Presentation Player?

Currently, my application converts the results from the questions answered into 3 main values which are passed into the DataProvider for the Bubble chart. Would there be a way so that if I split my application into 2 separate applications, the 1st being all the questions, and the 2nd being displaying the Bubble chart, that I could pass the 3 values from the 1st application to the 2nd application so the that the Bubble chart could be shown?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Flex Application question?
          ATIF FAROOQ Level 3

hi,

using modules can be one option. You can make bubble chart separate

module and questionarries separate module.Thne as your questionarries

section is going to come first so you load it furst and then load bubble

chart in turn.

• 2. Re: Flex Application question?
            hkpadobe Level 1

ATIF, I am assuming I would be able to pass out the 3 values from the 1st module into the 2nd one? Will each module have it's own .SWF file?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Flex Application question?
              ATIF FAROOQ Level 3

yes definately modules have separate swf's.Modules provide this basic functionality of loading and unloading . In order to decrease the initial load time of your application and to organize your appilcation into parts .You load those parts at one time that user may need instantly and leave other parts unloaded and then load the requested part on demand as it is needed.This is what module is for.And hopefully it will also come handy in you scenario.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Flex Application question?
                hkpadobe Level 1

ATIF, I looked at Module section on the livedocs and have made an attempt to try to solve my issue. What I have done is separate out the Bubble Chart.mxml into a Module called Chart.mxml. The main Application mxml file contains the questions. I am using the ModuleLoader to load the Module in the main Application. I have compiled the Chart.mxml file and have got the Chart.swf file as a result.

When I run 3rd party application with the Chart.swf I am getting many of the following errors, any ideas? Thanks

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class mx.core::LayoutContainer could not be found.

at flash.display::MovieClip/nextFrame()
                at mx.core::FlexModuleFactory/deferredNextFrame()
                at mx.core::FlexModuleFactory/update()
                at mx.core::FlexModuleFactory/moduleCompleteHandler()

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable _DragManagerStyle__embed_css_Assets_swf_mx_skins_cursor_DragCopy_2096733126 is not defined.

ReferenceError: Error #1065: Variable _DragManagerStyle__embed_css_Assets_swf_mx_skins_cursor_DragMove_2095397026 is not defined.