4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 7:28 AM by stratis63

Indesign script developers needed

stratis63

Dear Sirs,

We are seeking for a partner of yours, certified developer that could develop for us A macro application that performs the following tasks

• Reads an Xl File and based on the criteria shown below constructs a Corel Draw table.
      • The developer or firm should be able to offer to us support after the completion of the SW.

It seems that the Greek market where we are located does not have a experienced macro developer that can perfom that task

Your assistance in guiding us or giving us a list of developers that we can contact and ask them for a quotation will be appreciated.

Regards

Stratis Telloglou

telloglou@opap.gr

Below You will find 1) The original scripts and the manual procedure we follow to convert the file in a Cs3 or Corel Draw File.

This procedure(script) should be incorporated in the application in order to automatically produce the table.

Brief

a script of a program that takes as input an Xl file, inserts it in a indesign document and based  on some rules replaces specific fields with the corresponding images from a library directories. Finally the script should automatically save the file in Indesign  and also in Jpg and pdf formats.

Script should be designed for  Indesign(SC3) or alternatively Corel draw( Vers. 6.3) Environment

In essence what is required is a script for Football for .xls files where columns are written in Greek

a script for Football for .xls files where columns are written in English (same file structure)

a subset for Basket baslketball for .xls files where columns are written in Greek 

a subset for Basket baslketball for .xls files where columns are written in English

in basketball not only the rules applied are a subset of football, also the common background has different colours.

Requirements

·         A.Input an .xls  Form in 2 languages, a background template

·         B. Other Files needed. (a library of images)

·         C. Output .  An indesign file (or alternatively a Corel file)

Where the following 5 actions should have taken place

1. The field “Group” (column B in the .xls) should be replaced with a Jpg from the library
      2. The field “number” (column E in the .xls) should be replaced with a Jpg from the library
      3. The field “HC1number” (column R in the .xls) should be replaced with a Jpg from the library
      4. The field “HC2” (column S in the xls) should be replaced with a Jpg from the library
      5. The field “TV channel” (column Z in the .xls should be replaced with a Jpg from the library
      6. Every calendar day starts at 08:00. Before the first Row (Column C “time” ) that starts after  08:00 a Whote text bar Indicating the Date Should be placed
      7. If the field Column C “time” if a match is between 00.00 and 08.00 then a horizontal line of width = 0,85 should be placed before the first aftermidnight match.
      8. The ready file should be saved automatically with Date+time in jpg and pdf

The whole script applies as a subset to Basketball (ie not all of the above rules are applied)

Example of subtitution.

If column B is BBC

2. The possible numbers that are used 1,2,+2,3 These should be replaced by    ή 

3.         When there is column E        in column R   (Α Green) or     (Β blue

When there is column E    or     in column R   (Α red) or   (Β red)

When there is column S  Α or  B or C Or D or E there should be replaced by   or 

Attachments

1. Sample input XLS (marked in Yellow All fields that need to be changed (FB 13-16)
      2. Sample output
      3. The background that is used

• 1. Re: Indesign script developers needed
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Hi Stratis,

From your post I understand that you have an Excel spreadsheet document, and you want to incorporate these data into an InDesign template. Correct?

Below You will find 1) The original scripts...

I don't see any attached scripts.

Attachments

1. Sample input XLS (marked in Yellow All fields that need to be changed (FB 13-16)

I don't see it either.

In general, I can suggest you the following approach:

1. Export the data from your spreadsheet to XML-file.
          2. Create a structured layout in InDesign: create tags and placeholders corresponding to the elements in the XML-file.
          3. Import the XML-file into the layout and map tags to styles – all data should be in appropriate place and properly formatted.
          4. If you need to make changes, re-export and re-import the XML-file – all data will be updated.

Actually it's very hard to tell you something more definite without seeing your files: spreadsheet, template into which you import data and final, ready to print file.

What is your existing workflow? Do you copy data from excel and paste them into InDesign/Corel file?

Kasyan

• 2. Re: Indesign script developers needed
            stratis63 Level 1

In fact i want to automate the process.from an input which is an xl

file and from a library of images i want to automaticaly create a cs3

table there is some substitution that wil take place.all work curently

done manualy at corel.we want to migrate to cs3 if the script works

• 3. Re: Indesign script developers needed
              Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Take a look at this book: Designer's Guide to Adobe InDesign and XML. http://www.peachpit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0321503554

Probably, your solution is in this book and you don't have to  employ any scripting.  There is an example of pricelist in chapter 7 that looks similar to your project.

• 4. Re: Indesign script developers needed
                stratis63 Level 1

thank you very much ,

I will look into that

My problem is that we do not have at the company script developers tat could

write the coding, debug and support. This i would like to assign it to a

developer or firm that could support it or upgrade it for future releases

Basically the script all it does it duplicating the xl sheet in cs3 or corel

and then its replcing a number of dat with some of the images given a a

graphic library and then its formating according to some principal rules.

My problem is to find the person who could easily write the script and then

support it,/

regards#

Stratis