4 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2009 9:16 AM by the_wine_snob

Title background in 16:9

COLawrence1947

I am trying to build a title in a NTSC 16:9 project.  I am using a JPEG as the background.  The image size is 720x480.  I have unchecked "scale to frame size" in the background clip.  The background does not fill the 16:9 Monitor window.  It is tall enough but not wide enough.  How can I get the background to exactly fill the Monitor window within PRE7 or do I need to modify the source JPEG first in PSE7?  What is the size for 16:9?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Title background in 16:9
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Because the Aspect Ratio (PAR in this case) is off, between the image and the Project, Scale to Fit is actually working correctly. The height is matching in both. Probably the easiest way to handle this would be to Rt-click on the image in the Project Panel and chose Interpret Footage. Set the PAR to 1.2 (NTSC Widescreen) from 0.9 (NTSC 4:3). You can also take your image into Photoshop (PS) and change the PAR, or Crop as necessary to fit.

Before I Import any still images into Pr, I always size them in PS to match my Projects' setting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Title background in 16:9
            COLawrence1947 Level 1

Thank you for your reply, Hunt.  The interpret footage options worked OK.  I had never been there before!

• 3. Re: Title background in 16:9
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it worked for you.

One note: JPEG's will always be square pixels, so Interpret Footage will often be necessary, where one is working with non-square pixels. When in a 4:3 Project (PAR=0.9) it will not be so evident, as the mis-match is very slight. With 16:9 Projects, it IS evident. This is another reason that I always work in Photoshop with the proper preset (image dimensions and PAR), and Export to .PSD's for Import into my editor.

Thanks for reporting back,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Title background in 16:9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Another little "trick," though one that I like far less, is to use Motion>Scale and uncheck Constrain Proportions (or whatever the correct syntax is) and then Scale the horizontal dimensions up. However, Aunt Marge will then complain that she looks "fat... "

Personally, I like all re-sizing to be done in Photoshop (PS), because I find that it's algorithms are better than those in any version of Premiere that I have used. The difference is very slight, but I still like the way that PS does it.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful