18 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2009 10:55 AM by Michael :D

Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Michael :D

"Sorry, a serious error has occurred that requires Premiere to be shut down. We will attempt to save your current project"

Yep, that one.  I get it every time I open up Premiere.  The error box reappears after a couple of seconds, then it keeps reappearing and stacking up until I close the program.

I've done the most recent updates (Vista and Adobe), and spent hours on the net reading and trying different solutions.  To no avail.

I think this is a pretty common error, no?  But from everything I've read, people get the error using PR mid-program.  For me, I can't even open the program.  After Effects also starts (as a process in Task Manager), but runs in the background.

I updated MS Office 2007 (big update) and also my NVIDIA drivers (after I started getting this error).

You can read my recent problem that might help you understand a little bit more about this error on this thread.

Would upgrading to a Quadro GPU help at all?

My PC:

C2D E8400 o'cd @ 3.6GHz

8GB ram (DDR2 800)

1TB raid 0 (500GB internal as scratch disk)

2 512mb 9600GT's in SLi - should I upgrade??  NVIDIA Quadro?

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

• 1. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Would upgrading to a Quadro GPU help at all?

Without knowing the cause of the problem that is impossible to predict.

Cheers
          Eddie

• 2. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
            Michael :D Level 1

Wow.  I figured it out.  That was weird.

Okay - so I updated Office a little while back right? then I started getting this error.  And for some reason, my fonts (options, reminders, email notifications, text, etc.) in MS Office were all chunky and bitmappy.  Right.  So somewhere along the way, the update either deleted or corrupted my Tahoma font!  (It wasn't showing up in the fonts list in Word, PS, etc.)

Of all the things, really.  But searching for "Tahoma font download" I was able to download the font.  Copied the regular and bold fonts into C:/Windows/Fonts - viola!  Premiere works, After Effects opens, and I don't have chunky fonts in Outlook anymore!

Thanks for the input, Eddie.  Question: Since PR and AE work now, do you think upgrading to a pricey card such as one of the Quadro's would be helpful in my performance?  (I edit HD footage.  Adding 'simple' effects such as color correction or blur, or adding lots of titles makes my preview choppy even in Draft mode.  Is it my hdd?  GPU?  CPU?  RAM??)

• 3. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Its probably Vista 64 because CS3 is not optimized for Vista 64.

• 4. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Its probably Vista 64 because CS3 is not optimized for Vista 64

Ann, I just spent a while here writing up slightly irritated response from myself.  And I just erased it.

The reason I was slightly irritated was because so many people try to solve problems that deal with a pre-CS4 Adobe product with the good old, "It's probably your computer 'cause it's 64 bit" adage.  I don't think my performance issue in premiere is solely depending on my 64bit Vista machine (unless someone else with lower specs is getting better results using multiple effects on a 1920x1080 HD clip on a 32bit machine....please post if so!!).

Thanks for stating your point.

Perhaps I should re-state my question: Does anyone think that any or all of my PC compontents have something to do with my performance issue in Premiere CS3?

Again, My PC:

C2D E8400 o'cd @ 3.6GHz

8GB ram (DDR2 800)

1TB raid 0 (500GB internal as scratch disk)

2 512mb 9600GT's in SLi - should I upgrade??  NVIDIA Quadro?

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

• 5. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

The problem with the question is that most of the folk here use PrPro to earn a living. In so doing, most are not going to even try running it on a non-certified OS. Unless someone has the time, an available machine and the inclination to try it, most just do not know.

Some have had luck. They would be about the only ones, who could help you. The majority just do not know, but have read of many problems in these fora.

Does that mean that it will not work? No. Several HAVE reported success. What were their equipment specs.? Do not know, but maybe they will weigh-in and help.

I wish you luck, and hope that those who know will drop by. They might be able to offer advice.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Hunt,

Thanks for the insight.

So, IF it was NOT Vista 64 (but instead Vista 32 [x86]), then does anyone think that any or all of my PC compontents have something to do with my performance issue in Premiere CS3?

In fact - disregard the OS.  Just look at the components.  Are they adequate?

• 7. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Are they adequate?

They seem to be. Only question that I'd have would be I/O related. It appears that you have one logical HDD, with 2 physical in RAID 0. Is this correct? It is very often recommended that one should have several physical HDD's. The "media drive" can certainly be in a RAID configuration, but having the OS and program disc, can be looking for trouble. Harm Millard has done a good article of I/O setup HERE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

I've got a Quadro FX4500-512 on my workstation. It's getting a bit old now, and its performance should be eclipsed by your SLi setup. Still, I see no more performance in NLE work, than with my laptop's GeForce 8800m GTX 512. Now, that is a bit apples and oranges, but the Quadro only seems better at 3D work. Other than a few Transitions and Effects, GPU power goes to waste with an NLE.

If one is using CS4 and doing a lot of MPEG work, the Quadro CX might offer some advantages with the CUDA. Have not heard much from the field and real world situations, however. In very general terms, any good vid-card with good drivers will work about the same in an NLE. Also, you might want to do a Search for some nVidia driver issues, before making the plunge. There seem to be a lot of these, especially if you go to CS4. I find this odd, as Adobe and nVidia have paired now. I would *think* that nVidia drivers and Adobe products would work perfectly together. That does not seem to be the case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Hunt,

No, I have 4 physical and 3 logical drives.  #1: 1TB external backup drive.  #2:  500GB internal scratch disk.  #3&4:  two 500GB disks for OS (logical drive in RAID 0 for documents, work items, program files, and pictures).

I read somewhere (I think here in the forums) about using a RAID 0 setup for your scratch disk.  That seems very wise, but for me to do that would require erasing everything and starting over with my current setup (500GB as OS disk, RAID 0 for scratch disk).

• 10. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Hmm.  I do have the latest drivers for my Nvidia cards.  I can't figure out what the deal would be if it were the vid cards.  My CPU peaks at about 71% when I have a simple color correction effect and time remapping or something else.  So I don't know if it would be the processor.

Thanks for the replies Hunt.

• 11. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Thanks for the clarification. I just mis-read the specs originally.

Maybe someone else will have input on your HDD configuration.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

for me to do that would require erasing everything and starting over with my current setup

That's worth considering.  The ideal minimum scene here is three internal drives -  a small one for OS/Programs and nothing else (get a second computer for Office/Internet/etc.), a bigger one for Project/Scratch disks (non-RAID), and a third really big drive for just media files (can be RAID, but doesn't need to be).

• 13. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Thanks, Jim.

So, (considering my unwillingness to wreck my current setup), would this possibly help my performance:

OS: (2) 500GB internal SATA's in RAID 0 (as is)

Scratch Disk: (1) 500GB internal SATA (sort-of as is)

Media files Disk: (1) 1TB non-'green' internal SATA (new purchase)

My main question is:  What's the main difference between a Scratch Disk and a Media Files Disk?

For instance, I have a newly captured clip (let's call it footage.mpeg).  And I have music.mp3 and lotsofpictures.jpg.  So would I store all three of those files on my Media Files Disk, or on the Scratch Disk?  The Scratch Disk was just for rendered files I thought (like when you're working on a project and previewing it?)?  And so is Premiere reading from my Media Files Disk to play footage.mpeg and then using the Scratch Disk to bounce files back and forth?  Sorry if I'm not making ANY sense.

Is my suggested setup a dumb idea (bad investment)?

PS - this may be another problem: my Scratch Disk (Hitachi internal 500GB SATA) is an OEM drive shipped as running on SATA I for 'backwards capability' for older mobos.  So, I downloaded the firmware updater from Hitachi and the updater wasn't working (locking up after booting from CD).  I figured it would be fine.  Well, SATA I runs at a much slower speed than SATA II (the new standard).  But I was transferring files to and from the drive and my OS RAID configuration and Vista was reporting over 30MB/s sustained write speed.  Which by the way is not SATA II (also called SATA 3.0Gbit/s).  I think this may be causing some of my performance issues.  What do you think?  Normally, SATA II should run at 300MB/s (so they claim)   SATA 3.0Gbit/s specs

• 14. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Is my suggested setup a dumb idea (bad investment)?

I think so.  Instead of a new 1TB drive, break out the RAID 0 System drive (a very bad idea for any computer) and buy a new smaller drive for the OS and programs.  Mine is only 75 GB and barely half full.  Use the two drives from the RAID as separate drives - one for Projects/Scratch and one for Media, then use the third 500GB for Exports.

• 15. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

With the exception of the GPU specific Effects, the rest are CPU intensive, some much more than others. Color Correction is one of the big ones.

Unfortunatley, NLE's do not use speedy GPU's that much. PrPro CS4 is supposed to do more with CUDA, as is Photoshop. This is a departure and *should* provide a bit more speed for many operations. Right now in PrPro, it seems to be focused on MPEG encoding, but maybe there is more to it, or more to come.

Personally, unless you're doing some pretty heavy 3D stuff, or are an avid gamer, I think that I'd save the $'s from the Quadro and put it into HDD's.

Just my 02 ¢'s.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Thanks for the input, Hunt.

I'm thinking about putting money into new hard drives, but not sure.  The reason being is because when I watch Task Manager while watching a preview in Premiere Pro CS3, the memory usage of the program goes from about 300MB and then peaks at 1.3GB.  That's when it starts getting choppy.  Any previews after that (In High Quality Preview Mode) are generally quite choppy also.  Or, if the preview is in Draft Mode, after about 25 seconds it starts getting choppy.  Could it be my RAM?  It's only DDR2 800 you know.

PS - The reason I'm redundant so much with product names (i.e. - "Premiere Pro CS3" instead of "PR") is for searchability - not only here in the forums, but on search engines.  I don't know how much it helps, but I do it anyways.

• 17. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

I hear you on the "searchability" and a bit of redundancy can be a good thing. Now, if only the 'bots would update all the old Adobe forum links to the new ones... maybe in your lifetime, but I dobut so in mine.

You might want to give consideration to the setup of your Virtual Memory (Windows Page File). A lot of performance improvement can come from getting that tweaked. Harm's link (in earlier post) will go a long way towards doing that. Unfortunately, there are no hard, fast rules for that. It takes some experimentation, and can differ machine to machine. Two (seemingly identical) XP-Pro SP3 setups want different things! Go figure. Still, it's usually worth the effort.

Bill Gehrke has a Website for PrPro "benchmarks," and some test files for download. For performance improvement and testing, this can be very useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Very Common Premiere Error?? "Sorry, a serious error has occurred that..."

Hunt, you're amazing - thank you so much for all the info and time.

I'm going to talk to a videographer friend of mine (I don't know if he uses Premiere), and search around a little.  I don't make a living using Premiere (obviously), but part of my services revolve around it.

Unfortunetly, Bill Gehrke's website doesn't support Premiere Pro CS3 (says so on the left side), but the site provides a bit of useful information.

I think at this point, I'm going to keep researching and possibly in the future re-configure my disk setup.  But like I said, I don't make a living on Premiere - so making it work perfectly is not essential to my job.  The rendered files are just fine.  Just working with the project is choppy.

Thank you all again.  I'll update if I find anything useful.